Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished replacing the transmission fluid filter in my C4 (65 Cpe) and went to begin the process of refilling the case with fluid. However, after only replacing approx. 4 or 5 qts. (manual calls for 8 1/2 qt. capacity) the dipstick reads about two inches above F. After initially putting 3 qts in, I started the car, shifted thru the gears a few times, then continued with another two quarts. I took the car around the block a few times to warm it up so I could try to get as accurate a reading as possible before checking the level. Now it is apparently overfilled. I might add that when I drained the old fluid, there was only about a gallon or so. I just assumed the rest had leaked (that was one reason for the filter/gasket replacement). Where did I screw up, and what are the consequences now? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
the rest of the fluid is in the convertor..unless it has a drain plug..it will stay in there..yes you probably overfilled it

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I aint no expert on automatics unless you include the famous select/fire but...
the torque converter holds a large amount of the fluid You have to do something
special to drain the fluid out of it.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance of harm coming from the overfill? Should I make an effort to drain and start over?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
LIke said previously, the rest of the fluid is in the torque converter. Normally there are a couple of drain plugs on the converter to drain it. So, yes you did overfill the tranny. Now comes the fun part of removing some of the fluid.....

I don't think that you have to drain all of the fluid and start from scratch. Can you get a tube down the dipstick tube, and use a suction gun, if you have one???

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 66gt350 on 03/25/01 11:14 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my exp with c4's is that when replacing the filter about 3~4 qts comes out. The rest will be up in the converter. Most converters will have a drain plug but some aftermarket ones do not. Definitely drain some out. If you drive with an overfull tranny fluid will seep out the vent plug on the tail shaft at about 35 to 45 and hit the exhaust causing smoke. Manuals say DO NOT OVER FILL the trans other wise damage will occur. I don't know what mechanical damage will happen possibly too much pressure causing a seal or gasket to blow out.
Just loosen a few of the rear pan bolts to drain the excess out. In most cases the fluid is good when people change it so the fluid in the converter should be OK, just a little dirty. How did the fluid look to you?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little dirty, but not too bad. I am not that concerned with what was left in this time. More concerned about the overfill. I will make a larger effort next time to drain the convertor.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Drain the excess. Otherwise, your tranny will overheat and heat is an AT's worst enemy. I like GT350's idea of "sucking" it out of the dipstick tube. I have an oil extractor I use on my boat that works great for this.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Disconnect a transmission line at the radiator, start the engine and the fluid will squirt out... When you have drained enough fluid, stop the engine, reconnect the trans line

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree, its real easy to disconnect a trans oil cooler line. That's what I did.

http://www.66cherry.stangnet.com/images/driverscool3.jpg

66 Convertible, red w/ white top, new 302 roller motor, Ebrock 1406 & Performer Intake
99 Expedition - Custom
90 Caravan - my pick-up with seats

1 - 10 of 10 Posts