Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my c-4 rebuilt on my 66 cpe and everything works great except when you turn it on with eng cold the very first set of shifts happen at an unusually high rpm. When you put it in drive or reverse it switches right away but the first time through the gears takes a good while to shift. After that it runs great with nice shifts at normal rpms. What can I check?

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Check the fluid level while the engine is running?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is another problem. I check the fluid this way Turn on car drive normally for about 5 min then park on level ground and switch through all gears slowly 3 times then while in park and eng running I check the dipstick. It always reads very high but with a bunch of bubbles on the stick. Then if I check it by just warming it up in park then switching thru the gears while not moving then it checks out fine. I just had it rebuilt with new conv and it has about 8 qts and a little more.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would take the car back to the re-builder and have them check it out. I would also ask what they replaced during the rebuild. One persons definition of a rebuild is different than that of anothers.

I had the same condition in my 66 vert. I rebuilt the transmission myself and found that the seals in one of the clutch packs were dry and brittle. When the transmission was cold the clutches would not fully engage allowing for long shift points. When the transmission warmed up the seals expanded and allowed for normal operation.

Another item to check would be the modulator valve.

Scott

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like the intermediate band apply servo. Have the shop verify the fluid level and verify the band adjustment.

Bubbles in the fluid indicate too much fluid,

Drive the car until the radiator is good and hot, park on a level surface, put it in each gear one time, put it in park, leave engine running, check fluid. It should be hot and red.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts