Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I've searched the site so I think I'm asking a question that hasn't already been answered. Sorry if it has.

When I bought my 66 I knew that it was not originally a 4 speed manual. But today I was able to read most of the tranny tag (RUG E2) and found out that it was donated by a 68. The shift lever also has a reverse lockout 'ring' as opposed to the 't-bar' on the 66 toploaders.

The questions:

The speedo doesn't work. Which speedo cable can I buy to make it work? Are the 66 and 68 cables the same? Also, are there any other differences between a 66 and 68 toploader?

The play in the shift lever, even when in gear is about 1.5-2 inches. It also will not downshift into 3rd gear. Upshifting is fine in all gears, but in order to pick up third on a downshift, I have to go from 4th almost into second in order to get 3rd. Is that a shift lever issue? Linkage?

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The speedo cables should be the same, but are you sure the problem is the cable? Why would you think the problem is with the cable (i.e. is it missing?)?

Play in the shifter could mean a bad shifter, and your 3rd gear problem could be either the shifter, the tranny, or the shifter linkages. Does it feel like the shifter is binding when downshifting into 3rd? I'd also check to make sure the linkages are not binding as well (have someone shift into 3rd while you're under the car looking at them).

My old shifter wouldn't let me shift into 2nd on a hard take-off. The problem was indeed the shifter, so I replaced it with a Hurst Competition Plus and the problem went away.

BTW - My old toploader was a 65 installed in my 67, and it worked just fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Put a Hurst in it. Gonna cost you $400 but if you drive the car a lot you'll be glad you did.

Sell the old shifter and linkage on ebay. I'll bet you get $200 for it.

As long as you get a 4-speed cable for a 66 it the 66 speedo should work fine.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET the proper speedo gear for a 4-speed. The teeth are cut at a different angle than the gear for a 3-speed/auto.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The Hurst shifter would be nice, but that 400 bucks could be spent on better wiring/steering/etc. right now. I'll put it on my Christmas list!

You know, I never thought about the fact that the speedo cable might never have been changed after the swap. I'll order a new one anyway. It would be nice to know how much over the speed limit I'm driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts