Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65 hardtop with 66 I6 w 2.77 coming out and 3.03 going in.

Well have done considerable amount of research on this project, and am about ready to take on the challenge of making the swap myself. Have assembled all of the major parts needed. Installation will include a "Superior" diaphram pressure plate clutch kit. I want to prep 67 bell housing that I have before install. Questions
1. Is there a biodegradeable solvent available to use to the clean the inside?
If not what would be the best product to use?
2. I want to recover the blue paint on the outside that has worn over the years. Should I use engine grade paint?

Thx for the input.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
If by "inside" you mean inside the bell housing, something like Simple Green ought to work. I woudn't trust a bio-degradeable solvent to clean the flywheel & clutch, though - I would stick with denatured alcohol for that.

What exactly is painted blue? I believe the bell housing and transmission should be natural finish. If you want them blue, though, engine paint should work fine.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
35,833 Posts
65 hardtop with 66 I6 w 2.77 coming out and 3.03 going in.

Well have done considerable amount of research on this project, and am about ready to take on the challenge of making the swap myself. Have assembled all of the major parts needed. Installation will include a "Superior" diaphram pressure plate clutch kit. I want to prep 67 bell housing that I have before install. Questions
1. Is there a biodegradeable solvent available to use to the clean the inside?
If not what would be the best product to use?
2. I want to recover the blue paint on the outside that has worn over the years. Should I use engine grade paint?

Thx for the input.
This is an easy conversion. Since you have a 66 engine, 67-70 200 "everything" will make this a bolt-up swap.

Hmmm… Brake Cleaner will get the crud out, but so will dish detergent and hot water.

Blue paint on what? The bellhousing and transmission were not painted.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Yes I am asking about removing the crud from the inside of the 67 bell housing. The reason that I asked about the blue paint is because the outside of the bell housing was painted blue at some point, and now the paint is worn and chipped. I think I will go ahead and sand and repaint the outside with the blue engine paint.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Clean the inside of the bell housing with Simple Green and some elbow grease. If you want to paint it, engine paint works. I cleaned and painted mine engine-grade aluminum. Looks great.

·
Registered
583 Posts
yea i use engine enamel but it doesnt really cure correctly so it will scrap off so as long as you use a towl whenever lifiting it with jack or anything like that. speaking of that i need to repaint mine. i am glade to see that another person is going to get a 3.03 i have one myself you will have no problems with that tranny i mean it even holds up to my 289 pushing about 300hp. umm 1 thing of advice i their is a big diffrence bettween driving the 2 trannys first of all if you dont know how to rev match on downshift or dont even know what it is i suggjest that you talk to me.
umm what else o i might as well talk about the gears what i have tested with my car is that you can take it up to about 40 at 4k and possibly 50 before you shift but it will rev the gears pretty high. then 2 is comfortable to shift in at about 20 crusing and goes up to mabye 90 or 100 and 3rd gear you can take it from about 35 up to 120 i hope this helps you out if you have any questions just message me.

·
Registered
35,833 Posts
i am glade to see that another person is going to get a 3.03 i have one myself you will have no problems with that tranny i mean it even holds up to my 289 pushing about 300hp.
The 3.03 was also the standard transmission with the 390.

The 3.03 conversion used to be a common swap for the 2.77. By using a special adapter plate, the 3.03 can be attached to the stock bell of the 2.77, and using the same pressure plate, with a "big spline" disc. Add a C5ZZ slip yoke, and you don't even have to change the drive shaft.

By using a different adapter plate, you can now install a T5 5-speed just as easily, so the 3.03 conversion is not as common any more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just saw latest responses, again thx.

I picked up a spray bottle of mild "Gunk" cleaner. That along with fine steel wool has gotten the bell housing cleaning job done. Also picked up a spray can of "Mustang Blue" high temp paint for the outside.
I plan to just cruise around locally, and I think the 3.03 should be more than adequate. Not sure what you mean by "rev match" on the downshift? The current "peanut" no syncro in 1st unit is not much fun.

By the way any suggestions for the level of difficulty, best tool to use to pull (replace) the pilot bushing?

As always the advise I have received on this site has been an immeasurable help.

·
Registered
583 Posts
well what i mean is that you are going from a 2.77 non syncro first to a fully syncro transmition(i hope right, it is syncroed right) to a 3.03. that is a big gear my friend. so lets give you a situation lets say i am going on a strait road and i am second gear going about 45. and hold in clutch and engine is at about 1500 rpm and shift to 2nd without raising engine rpm wheels will lock up and it might distroy the transmition but if it doesnt it will lock up the tires and bounce up the engine rpm to about 6k for my v8. so what you do to keep the wheels from locking up would be you would "rev match" you will rev the engine to the rpm which your current speed will be in the lower gear so if you are going 30 in 2nd gear you will bring up the engine up to about 2.5k or 3k and then shift down the car in this case after rev matching will not cause the tires to lock up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
ok here is basic summary of the 3.03 you need to rev match. what happens if you dont rev match correctly: 1. you dont "rev match" or bring up engine rpm and just downshift you will lock up tires whech is good for quick stoping situations but otherwise not so much this will happen even at slow speeds it will happen for sure at 30. 2. you over rev and then shift down car will lunge forward and not sound so good or be very good for gears or engine but looks cool. what happens if you do it properly: you get smoth downshifting and because you bounce engine rpms up before downshifting then shifting it sounds pretty beast to onlookers.

about the 3.03 itself the 1st gear is excelent for deceleration as long as revmatched into goes to about 40 mabye and definetly get tire spin.

2nd gear cruising gear goes from about 20 to 80 be carful with it in the rain you will get tire spin just shifting into it with no gas, this is ur racing gear it will win it for you expecialy with how fast that 3.03 first will get you off the line.

3rd gear super crusing gear got some acceleration but not much. sounds great and runs real smooth shift into it when you dont plan on stoping any time soon. it goes from about 30 to 120 or max speed.

if you want me to make a video for you on how to rev match or just a video of my 3 speed car running private message me and let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts