Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone installed a 4 speed toploader from a '79 to '84 mustang/capri, into their classic mustangs?....upside.. plentiful, cheap and no linkages.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I don't think these are very popular since they are basically 3 speeds w/ overdrive that have wide gear spacing.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
66Sprint200 said:
I don't think these are very popular since they are basically 3 speeds w/ overdrive that have wide gear spacing.
+1

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,701 Posts
Well, for one, they are not toploaders. They are 3 speeds with a 4th gear overdrive. Known as SROD or single rail overdrive transmissions. Durable they are NOT. Actually used from '79 until early '83 when the non-world class T5 transmissions were being phased in. I haven't paid much attention to what was in the four cylinder cars at that time.
About no support for SROD's out there. Very little available in the way of service/replacement parts, never mind aftermarket swap support.
Before 1979, there was a three speed overdrive version of a the toploader that had an aluminum case. Pretty durable but the gear ratios were no fun. At one time some racers went to the trouble to put old toploader gearsets into the OD case to save some weight. This was a complicated procedure involving quite a bit of machine work. A very short-lived fad. Such overdrive toploaders can often be found in Granadas. Some are still out there as nobody has much use for them. Same with the SROD's. I know where there are two good used SROD's that could be bought at close the scrap prices. They are quite dusty.
You could refit either trans if you wanted. It's just really not worth the effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts