Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a ford question...not a mustang one, but I am sure to have some of those later. I had the automatic transmission, in my 94 Ranger, rebuilt about 14,000 miles ago and haven't had any problems with it until recently. I changed the fluid and filter in it last weekend and now it is acting a little strange. It shifts fine but it doesn't want to shift into 2nd gear as soon (especially when I get on it). I thought that I might have put the wrong fluid in it. It calls for Mercon and I put Dexron Mercon, but the back of the bottle says that it will work in trannies requiring Mercon. Any ideas on what might be causing my problem? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hmm. Unless you used a "No Name Brand" fluid, it's probably a coincidental situation.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Did you remove the tv linkage for any reason when you changed the fluid? If so you may have changed its setting and that would cause your problem. Did the filter get seated properly when you re-installed it? If not it could be sucking air and causing a pressure problem. Make sure the fluid level is correct as it is more serious to have it over full than a little under full. If all is fine with the filter and tv linkage then it just may be a coincidence....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts