Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, how much does it cost to build either a 65/66 or 69 track car??? What kind of suspension work is involved??

65 coupe 302
(rebuildijng a 351W)

I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!!!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
This is a cliche, but the answer depends on your pockets and ambitions. You can have fun with $5000 or out of this world with $100000. Clarify a little bit what you want or quote a sum you want to spend.

Door handle first when cornering

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

[color:blue]68 GT500</font color=blue>
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
An engine capable of keeping you in the front half of the pack will run $10-15k, wheels & tires $3k initial $300 per race, transmission $2-3k, rear diff $1.5k, Brakes $1k, cage $1k.... As in the earlier replies, how fast do you want to go, and in what kind of venue. Open track events put on by local car clubs will run $150 to $250 per event, sometimes as little as $100. With these you usually only need a current safety rated helmet, about $150. If you want to get a little more serious you start talking Nomex driving suit, fire systems, fuel cells, and the list can go on and on. Keep in mind, you'll not drive to the event and race the same car as Bob Tullius & Mark Donohue did in the 60s, so towing, fuels, tires, doddy-doddy-da... As I started enjoying racing, a wise, perceptive peer told me, "If you can't afford to write it completely off (in the case of a wreck), you can't afford to go racing." So... in what sort of Ball Park do you want to step up to the plate?

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

1 - 4 of 4 Posts