Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Convertible
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 289 is out of my '65 convertible and the short block is at the machine shop. I am replacing the C4 transmission cooler lines. I had the trans rebuilt a couple of years ago and the mechanic cut the lines when he pulled the trans. He spliced the lines back together when the trans was replaced and it has leaked since then so I bought new lines. The trans is still in the car. Should I install the lines before or after I put the engine back in? Does it even matter? I just have jackstands to put the car on, I don't have a lift. Before I pulled the engine I removed the lines from the splice forward. and it was an easy job. But the long lines may be a different story with the engine in place.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
If the transmission is in the car now and is not coming out then I'd do the lines now, but bear in mind that you'll probably have to tie them back when you drop the engine in to avoid damaging them accidentally.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
How did the mechanic splice them? You could flare them easy enough while the engine is out, then use a union.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
I don't hold a mechanic in very high regard that cuts lines, wires, or metal with the intention of splicing stuff later to remove an engine that is going back in. I would just put new stainless lines in after the engine.

Reactions: BigKoppa

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
23 Posts
Just put in new trans cooler lines in my 66, 289, fastback today. Engine and trans were in the car. I took off the crossmember and was able to feed the lines in from the front to the rear pretty easily with a helper. With the starter off it would have been easier. I would probably go ahead and put them in before the engine, as Woodchuck stated, just watch the starter (or take it off) and motor mounts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts