Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 sprung a leak from the C4 automatic and made quite a mess under my car. I started to wipe it down to clean it up, and the undercoating wiped right off! The floor pans look so immaculate that I am undecided if I should keep going and remove the rest or put some rubberized undercoating back on to keep it preserved. I have not even started to determine where the trans leak is.

I'm bummed out that I can't be driving on nice days until I get the leak fixed. I guess I was due, this car has been dependable for years.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I would guess that your undercoating was some aftermarket stuff, maybe rubberized undercoating? It looks like it. I only say this because the undercoating on my 70 stang was coated for years in trans fluid from the leaking power steering and leaking dipstick tube from the trans. I still had to scrape and grind off the factory stuff. WD 40 did help to soften it and ease the process, but still a pain to get all scraped off. You will need to coat it with something...so are you gonna keep going? Find and fix the leak first, so you dont' have to do it again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that or finding out what color Dearborn built Mustangs undercarriages were and going that route. I wonder how hard the upkeep would be from driving without some sort of undercoating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts