Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to order a new trans tube and dipstick for my c-4 ('68 289). Summit racing is asking if it is 'case or pan fill'.

Any help is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
gotta look at your tranny dipstick tube...if it goes into the pan, pan filled

if it goes into the case, case filled

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is in the garage at home, I am in my office. I need a bit more help. Where does the case stop and the pan begin? I recall the tube running down and in to some horizontal spot about mid way down the trans. Is that the pan or case?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The pan filled C4's are the flared case models, usually only used on larger cars and trucks. Mustang C4's that I have seen were all case filled, step case models. The flared case C4 which is pan filled has a tube which runs down the side, makes a sharp bend to enter the steel pan horizontally, if memory serves me right the tube threads into the pan.The pan is at the very bottom of tranny and covers the tranny filter,valve assembly etc., and the dipstick on a pan filled would enter below the case mounting flange and pan mounting bolts.The case filled tube enters through the aluminum body of the trans itself, from the top just above the tranny to pan mounting flange.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin, just the type of answer I needed. Thank you very much. It seems I have a 'case fill'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts