Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm looking for some more guidance on my 70 Mach I. MME is going to fix me up with a 408 stroker, somewhere around 475 HP, Randall's Rack is doing the rack and pinion, and I'm going with a MassFloEFI fuel injection system. The last big part I need is a transmission. I plan on driving the car, so I want an automatic with OD. I am looking at an AOD or an AODE. The guys who play with these the most seem to be Baumann or Lentech. Has anyone had any experience with either of these companies? I'm open to suggestions and opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have had good luck with Baumann, and I hear very good things about Lentech too. I believe both to be extremely reputable.

The AODE has quite a few improvements over the AOD, however with enough modifications the AOD can be strenghtened significantly. If you go with an AOD, look for a 2 inch wide overdrive band, mechanical diode, upgraded overdrive servo, hardened input shaft or lockup elimintor, late model case with improved oiling, and possibly the wide ratio gears with improved bushings.

I created my own AOD using the 93 Super Coupe AOD as the base (late model case, heavy duty servo), along with the internals from a 4R70W (wide ratio gears, mechanical diode, 2 inch band setup), and aftermarket pieces from Baumann (hardened input shaft, clutches/bands/bushings).

Good luck,
-Rory

·
7,013 Posts
I think if you bolt up a set of slicks to that much horsepower you're going to toast an AOD in a couple of passes and a 4R70W in a few more (if they are essentially stock).

If I were you, I'd contact Baumann Engineering and ask Greg what he would recommend. Those guys know their AOD/AOD-E's.

I have their TCS and Recal Pro Kit in my car.

Phil

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's 2 for Baumann.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts