Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I recently got a 67 coupe. The owner claimed it ran before and he cleaned it up and now doesnt run no more. After getting it home i figured he had put regular transmission fluid in it instead of F type. The transmission slips. Is there any way to completely drain the fluid from transmission without taking the transmission out?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You can only use Type "F" or Dexron Mercon Tranny fluid....Anything else, and you'll have problems.. Type "F" works the best for Classic Ford Trannies though.

"Is there any way to completely drain the fluid from transmission without taking the transmission out? "

Uh, Yeah, Drop the Tranny Pan. ......but there is always some residual fluid left in the tranny...no matter what..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Uh, Yeah, Drop the Tranny Pan. ......but there is always some residual fluid left in the tranny...no matter what.."

I already got the gasket and the filter for it. I'll just replace all that and hope it starts working.
Another thing, It leaks from the flywheel cover, could it be because if wrong fluid?

·
Registered
587 Posts
"Uh, Yeah, Drop the Tranny Pan. ......but there is always some residual fluid left in the tranny...no matter what.."

I already got the gasket and the filter for it. I'll just replace all that and hope it starts working.
Another thing, It leaks from the flywheel cover, could it be because if wrong fluid?
The leak at the flywheel cover is usually a worn torque converter bushing. Fluid type will not cause that. Type F has more friction modifiers in it because ford used less friction elements in their transmissions than other manufacturers. Great for firming up shifts in other brands...

Best try is to drain and refill with F a couple times. Do not have a transmission flush machine do it. They are good at destroying transmissions. If they put dextron in and it's slipping most likely there are other issues. Once slipping starts it has already caused damage.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If the trans has been rebuilt at any point, they very likely used parts made for modern ATF. Even if thats not the case, modern Dex/Merc and Type F aren't that different...it should still work well enough.

Type F could help a worn out trans though, it has less additives than other ATF and will 'grip' harder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts