Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am planning on not using the transmission cooler that that comes with the radiator. Any problems on plugging the threaded hole with a bolt if not what should I use?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
I believe you need pipe plugs with an NPT thread- 1/8" NPT IIRC.
I'm thinking if they're not pipe plugs then they're inverted flare plugs...of course, you could use simple tapered soft plastic caps, too.

Of course, the question begs to be asked.... did you switch to a manual trans and, if not, why aren't you using the trans cooler?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking if they're not pipe plugs then they're inverted flare plugs...of course, you could use simple tapered soft plastic caps, too.

Of course, the question begs to be asked.... did you switch to a manual trans and, if not, why aren't you using the trans cooler?
I have a stock everything carb, intake with california emissions. It's an S-Code 390 4speed manual. Doesn't run hot in traffic but hot days on the freeway it would run hot. So was planning on replacing the current radiator (currently leaks) with an aluminum one that has a transmission cooler. Couldn't find a version without the cooler. This is the radiator Radiators - 1967-70 MUSTANG, V8 390/428 (70 - 302/351 w/AC) ALUMINUM SERIES RADIATOR, 2 ROW

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
FYI you do not need to plug those holes if not in use. (The A/T cooler line is simply a pipe that runs through the lower tank for cooling)

:cheers:

P

·
0 Posts
Yes no reason to have to plug it. But if you do, use some plastic plugs, it's the easiest.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,354 Posts
A healthy dab of black RTV silicone in each looks fine if you smooth it off with your finger. Also keeps dirt daubers from building nests on the holes. Don't know if you have those annoying little SOB's in CA.
I wouldn't use bolts. Even if you can match the thread with some, which won't be easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts