Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys its been a minute since i posted on here, I just need a general explanation. IF someone would be so kind.
I know there is AOD transmission AODE and the 4rR70W. Znybody know when ford stopped using the AODE. I am looking at replacing my c4 with overdrive. THere is a guy locally selling a AODE from a 2003mustang gt.
My experience has been that many people refer to the AODE and 4r70W interchangeablly. My research says that these are two distinctly different transmissions...,,, similiar but different. Why do so many people refer to the 4R70W as AODE?

From past experience on this site I predict someone will say,,,,,"why are you looking to get an AODE from your C4". So my response is,,,,, "because its my car and I do what I wanna"

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The 2003 Mustang GT uses a modular motor with a different bellhousing bolt pattern than a small block. Unless you have a mod motor in your Mustang, it won't bolt up.

I've heard the term AODE but I don't recall ever seeing one. Seen plenty of 4R70W's.

The only 4R70W case that'll bolt up to a small block bolt pattern came behind the v6 engines. Too late of a model and it won't have a speedo hole on the transmission to connect the speedo feed and cable to.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,200 Posts
My understanding is that the AODE was made from '92-95. The 4R70W IS an AODE with wider gearing (hence the "W"). According to documentation, the 2003 Mustang GT used a 4R75W. Now, if the transmission came from a 2003 Mustang with a 3.8 V6 then that's another story. I'm pretty sure the 3.8 V6 has the same bellhousing pattern as the small block V8.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,713 Posts
If the 2003 is in fact a "GT" then it's a 4.6 and unsuitable for your purposes in any case.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your expertise,,,, so for my 302 is the AOD my only option WHat about the foxbody models would their transmission bolt up

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
The 4R70W from a 99-03 V6 Mustang will bolt up, but you will need a controller for the electronics and some of the later ones have no speedometer gear, just a hole for a speed sensor. The AODE is an electronically controlled version of the AOD. The AODs from behind the 302 (5.0) cars will work fine for most but some say they have odd shift points or some weak components. That can be gotten around with a quality build and some swapped guts. The AOD/AODE from the 4.6 V8, 2.3 I-4 cars will not.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You can get a 4R70W, it just has to have been from a car/truck with the 3.6L V6. Some later F150’s and Explorer’s with the 5.0 engines have a 4R70W with the correct SBF bolt pattern.

I actually found a 4R75W for dirt cheap. it had the modular 4.6 bolt pattern. Then, I bought an empty 4R70W case for the V6, also dirt cheap and swapped all the internals over during the rebuild.

So, now I have a rebuilt 4R75W with a SBF bolt pattern. I just have to figure out what to do with the empty 4.6 case. 🤷🏽

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
Personally I would avoid the AOD at all cost. It has a tall first gear, limited valve body control meaning no manual control. It has drive and low. The trick with them was something like start off in low then into drive for second then back into low to keep it in second. Then there is the pesky TV cable that has to be adjusted exactly right or you'll burn out OD in just a few miles. I'd go with the wide ratio electronic version with a aftermarket controller for full manual control, lower first gear and better durability.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Doc, the AOD is a good transmission, but alittle finicky. The way to go is to use an AOD, but use the 4r70W plantaries to get the 2.84 first gear instead of the 2.48, and have a transmission guy set the T V cable for you, and if you don't like the shift points, reset them with a valvebody from Lentech or SilverFox. No worries, and I'll bet you'll love the overdrive. LSG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts