Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand of transmission fluid should I use in my 66 C-4? Can I use Valvoline MaxLife ATF?

My car leaks transmission fluid periodically. Who should I take it to, to look at? Any transmission shops you've had good experiences with? I cant find the origin of the leak.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't think the brand makes any diffence, just the type of fluid. I always use the type F in my C6's.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thicker fluid also helps with small leaks. I know if you were to use synthetic (really thin) you'd have leaks all over unless it was a fresh rebuild.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
my 65 has a C4 installed in place of the factory 3 speed. It leaked badly. First I re-tightened all of the pan bolts, which a few were finger tight/loose. tighten them across the pan, alternating front to rear, rather than around the pan, so as to keep from warping the pan. I have purchased a rear seal which goes where the driveshaft yoke mates with the tailpiece of the trans. Have to install that. For now, I park with the car slightly downhill so that the trans fluid tends to drain away from the rear seal. Seems to work.

As for fluid, I am now starting to use the Valvoline "old car" synthetic which is supposed to have a stop leak property to it. At least the label advertises that.
It is a universal fluid.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
i use ford type f tranny fluid and or b&m quickshift type f(the old bottle)

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I use Dexron 3/mercon 4 in my brand new, freshly rebuilt C4 transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts