Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Mach 1 390 C6 Tranny. What would be a good fluid to use and also how much does the pan hold ? Thanks for any help.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Type F. The converter "donut" holds a lot plus the pan. It's not like an engine...5 qts with filter on a change. Spec book says 12 quarts total calacity of C6.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,630 Posts
I don't remember Type F being recommended for C6's. I believe back in the day "CJ" was specified. As far as I know it no longer exists. It was superceded by Mercon/Dexron years ago. Word is that you can move up to full synthetic Mercon V if you want to. C6's were used well into the 1990's in trucks and vans.
I'm not telling you to use Mercon V, but the Ford Motor Company does-
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_tsb_06144.pdf
If you want to do just the traditional fluid and filter change, expect to use about five quarts. You'll want six on hand just in case. Fill method is to put three in, then start the car and leave it running in Park. Then add fluid until it comes up to the lower mark on the dipstick. Drive it enough to get thoroughly warmed up (at least 30 minutes) and recheck. You want to see the fluid up close to the upper mark when it's hot. You don't want to overfill it. If you do it will spit fluid out the vent after highway runs and may develop leaks where there were none before.
If you choose to also drain the converter during you change (a good idea) then figure a total of 12 quarts. Having a quart or two extra doesn't hurt. Refill procedure is about the same except you can dump four quarts to0 start with, then dump another three or four while it's running. Then start checking the level on the stick.
You want fluid in the pan before starting the engine so it will "prime". Thereafter it will draw fluid as you pour it in, filling the converter. You can't just pour it all in at once, it will just overflow at about seven quarts. I just mention that because people have done such, thinking to refill like an engine oil change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts