Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 mustang with an inline 6 with an automatic transmission that has been parked for years. Hauled the mustang home and started working on her to bring it back to life. Ever since I put the mustang in the garage I noticed the car has a transmission leak. Finally got the car on the lift and it appears to be leaking from the dipstick tube where the tube goes into the base. Is there an O ring in the shaft tube? What is causing this to leak?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yes - you are correct. There is an O-ring that goes around the end of the dipstick tube. The old one has probably dry rotted.
You will have to take off the mounting bolt for the tube and work it out.
IIRC, I put a block of wood on top of the tube so it wouldn't get damaged and tapped mine back in with a hammer.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - you are correct. There is an O-ring that goes around the end of the dipstick tube. The old one has probably dry rotted.
You will have to take off the mounting bolt for the tube and work it out.
IIRC, I put a block of wood on top of the tube so it wouldn't get damaged and tapped mine back in with a hammer.
Can you buy the replacement O ring or just try to match as best you can and buy the O ring at a parts house?

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
Can you buy the replacement O ring or just try to match as best you can and buy the O ring at a parts house?
Here's the "official" o-ring but I'm sure you could find a suitable replacement at the bearing supply store, the hardware store or the auto parts store.

·
Registered
952 Posts
True on the above. Sadly, transmission seals and o-rings tend to harden and leak when left sitting for a number of years. You'll probably have to replace both the front and rear trans seals too (if you hadn't planned to do so already).

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
there is an easily accessible o-ring under the kickdown lever that has a tendency to leak. 1 wrench repair...oh wait, you may need a little pick to get the o-ring out.

also I have started to use "RTV" with o-ring on the dipstick, as I have had leaks despite them being new o-rings. I let it dry overnight before refilling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts