Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stage I: Disassembly. (couple pics)
Stage II: Cleaned up (no pics ::)
Stage III: Got the transmission painted Ford Blue to match the engine and bell...

Pics:

http://home.rmci.net/passmore/kevinpics/transpaint1.jpg
http://home.rmci.net/passmore/kevinpics/transpaint2.jpg

I really have to keep the digital camera around for stuff like this... I was in happy mode and went from cleaning to masking and painting without pics. Ah well, nothing interesting really.. just a brownish-orange cast iron tranny.

After seeing the results, I think Ford should have painted the trannys from the start. It looks GREAT. Can't wait to see it installed. The only downside is that the tail housing while cleaned up, doesn't look anywhere near as good and will probably detract from the whole thing. But then I must tell myself, no one will see it, it's just going to get grimey again, get over it.

I wish the paint would try faster... I want to assemble it NOW ::

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... I already attacked a CLEAN area with #000 steel wool... and it didn't make much difference. The nooks and crannys where most of the grease and grime settled for all the years of driving have a yellow scale to them and I can't get any sort of thing in there that will effectively take it off. Best and easiest way would be some sort of chemical dip, but I don't have access to the chemicals, something to dip it in, and somewhere to get rid of the used stuff.

And as I said, after a week of driving, (I drive it 2-3 days a week) it won't matter anyway ::

Soooo... if/when I ever actually RESTORE the car and the underside, I'll do it then since it was extremely easier than I imagined to disassemble the housing.

But that will be a few years... and by then it will look just like when I got it out of the guy's driveway ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you get the tranny to sit upright like that on it's output shaft?
A bit of trick photography and a bit of magician's flair.....

I held it there with my left hand ;)

I didn't take the whole thing apart completely, just the tail housing. Judicious use of masking tape made sure everything else was untouched, and it was quite easy to just "swirl" around the tranny while it rested on the end of the input/output shaft and spray all the way around. That way I didn't have to find any sort of sawhorse setup to rest it on (although that probably would have been easier).

To let it dry, I just leaned it up against the wall... no marks or touchups needed... although I haven't put it back together yet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts