Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the three speed tranny out of my 65 FB and I am going to convert to a 5 speed. I have had a lot of intrest on-line for my tranny as it has been completely rebuilt and will include all the parts that I do not need for my 5 speed conversion. I have two questions:

1. What do I need to keep from the original setup for the 5 speed conversion?

2. How much should I ask for the tranny setup?

·
Registered
680 Posts
First of all, I don't know what your transmission is worth...
Second, what type of clutch linkage are you going to use. Cable, Hydr. or stock linkage? This will help with list of what you need to keep.
What bellhousing are you going to use? This also matters.
We need to know more about your plans.

·
Registered
391 Posts
A freshly rebuilt 4-speed top-loader should be worth about $1,000; which assumes it is in perfect condition. Yours would be worth less.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to use the cable setup. I was looking at Modern Drivelines setup and it looked good but a little pricey. I was going to use the stock bellhousing unless there is a better one to use with the T-5z mating to a 289. I am trying to make this car into a nice driver and not a show car. TIA for any and all information.

Darrel

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There is more than one way to install the T5. The quickest for you is to use the California Pony Cars adapter plate. However, some prefer to eliminate the old z-bar clutch linkage and use the late model cable clutch. This can be an advantage for high output engines that rock quite a bit on WOT from standing start. This can cause clutch chatter with the old linkage. If you drive reasonably and don't race a lot then the old z-bar linkage is quite adequate when properly adjusted. The simplest conversion for you is:

a. California Pony Cars adapter plate added to your existing bell housing.

b. California Pony Cars crossmember for the T5 transmission.

c. Late model pilot bearing for the back of your engines crankshaft.

d. Shorten drive shaft such that 1" of movement of slip yoke is maintained. Use new slip yoke with your new transmission else expect puddles of ATF on your driveway and constant need to add ATF to the transmission. T5 uses Dextron III-Mercon ATF and it is much thinner than gear grease used in your 3 speed. If you don't use a new slip yoke chances are the seal in the back will not seat on your old one (most old ones have quite a bit of wear around the seal area).

e. New shift handle, knob, boot and escutcheon for interior.

Filling the T5 with ATF is a pain as the filler bolt on the passenger side is fairly high up in the transmission tunnel. I used a Wal-Mart neoprene filler hose on the ATF bottles. This worked good except for having to stuff the bottles up along my headers to get it high enough to siphon into the tranny. The Wal-Mart filler does have a cut off so you can turn it and the flow will mostly stop flowing. I cut off the end of the tube so it fits better in the T5 plug hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts