Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I drove to work like usual. I noticed pulling into the parking lot the tranny (C-4) seemed to rev a little higher than usual before changing gears. I pull in the parking spot and try to put the shifter in "Park". The shifter wouldn't go past the last "drive" (the one where it starts off in second gear). It will go in the three drive positions, clicking into position each time. I even tried forcing it, but couldn't get it to get into neutral, much less reverse or park. I was running late for work, so I cut it off in drive and chocked the back wheels. The car would roll backwards even though the selector was still in drive. It will not roll forward. So... The obvious question... what the heck is going on? I haven't messed with the tranny lately, aside from having the front band adjusted (10 ft/lbs minus exactly 1.5 turns). The kickdown cable is also dangling from the throttle assembly (not hooked to tranny), but that shouldn't have anything to do with it. Because of the neutral safety switch I can't crank the car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by sbryant on 04/16/01 06:25 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
A friend had something similar happen, and it turned out to be a bunch of the fiber clutch pack plates had decided to shed the fiber linnings, jamming everything up. In any case, you probably need to drop the tranny pan to see if anything obvious jumps out at you.

65 Hi-Po F/B (7 yr resto)
67 GTA F/B (small block) Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA), TX
MCA 27479
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575609&a=11978710&p=43914197.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Although I wouldn't do this by myself, you can start the car by bypassing the starter circuit at the solenoid on the fenderwell....just short out the big post from the battery to the nearest little post on the front of the solenoid...

Of course, make sure someone is in the car with their foot on the brake...

Since you can't move the shifter, I would focus on that first....you can disconnect it under the car from the trans and attempt to move the trans shifter arm by itself...

Could be something as simple as a screwed up saftey detent on the shifter (though I'm not optimistic...*G*)

If the shift arm on the trans is frozen, then it's time to get inside and see what's what...pull the pan and look in the bottom for debris....if there's a mountain of clutch/band dust or chunkies, stop there and prepare for a complete rebuild....no sense in half-assing the deal....

You can also smell the fluid prior to pulling the pan for an indicator...if the clutches have been destroying themselves, it should smell a bit burned and be a brownish-red...

Remember, take it one step at a time....first off is getting the car to a safe place to work on it...

Lastly, from your description, it is possible that the rear sprag destroyed itself.....I'll have to take a look at my schematics...

Maybe some others have some ideas....good luck!

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts