Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 68 i6 off the jack stands and went to move it last night. The car wouldn’t go into gear right away when I put it into drive. It would hesitate for about 10 seconds and eventually go in. Going into reverse was the same thing. This was all done in my driveway so it never tried to go into second, but I imagine it would do the same thing. I thought maybe I would put some trans oil cleaner in it and run it a bit to see if it clears up. Would you guys suggest something else or am I looking at a rebuild? The car has been sitting for at least 20 years.

PS I did check the oil and it’s good.
Thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm presuming by 'oil', you're talking about the transmission fluid.

If it's been sitting that long, you may need to take a short drive to get the transmission fluid to circulate through the whole system and check the fluid level again.

Mine was nearly empty after sitting for 20+ years. I changed the filter & gasket and filled it. After a short drive, I checked it again and added more fluid. I did that a couple of times before getting the fluid to the proper level.

·
7,061 Posts
Agree with the above. Might be the torque converter is dry and will (hopefully) pump up for you. This would cause your fluid to go down a bunch if it was mostly empty when you started.

Phil

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sounds like you're low on trans fluid.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@BigKoppa Yeah, I was referring to the transmission fluid. I will need to run it and keep checking the fluid. Hopefully it’s just low on fluid, we will see. Thanks for the quick responses!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts