Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the differences between the C4, C6, and FMX trannys were. I know that the C4 is smaller than the C6, but that's about all I know. I was also wondering if you guys would be able to tell me how to find out what I have (without removing anything)? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
The C6 has a 1 piece aluminum case.The pan is shaped like the state of Utah..The C4 has an aluminum case but the bellhousing unbolts.The pan is nearly square.The FMX has a cast iron case and the bellhousing unbolts.The pan is square shaped.

G

·
Not considering size... everyone knows that. The FMX is almost always cast iron mated to an aluminum bellhousing with 4 bolts, a real relic. The C-4 is aluminum & is bolted to the front pump on case fill transmissions & to the case on pan fill trannies, there are exceptions. The C-4 utilizes a reverse band & the C-6 uses a clutch pack. The C-6 is a 1 piece unit & very large.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts