Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to start the rebuild on my C4 this winter and was wondering what type of cleaner to use on the internals. Should I use Braklene or should I just toss everything into a bucket and head for a place that does hot tanking?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I take everything apart and head for the car wash. Hot soapy water is the best for it. If there is stubborn stains on the case you can use a little engine cleaner. After the wash I blow dry all pieces with compressed air...

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
KTJMcG,

I take the pump, case, tail and pan to the local car wash. You want to make sure you blow out all the water with air if you can. You cannot get all the stains out of the case so I paint each piece with Eastwoods Aluma Blast Spray paint. It will give your case & tail a glass beaded look. And later will help identify the source of a leak if any?!

You may want to consider a Transgo value body kit while your in there. I put one in our C-4 & our C-6. They cost about $100.00 but you will get every penny back in shifting performance.

Be sure not to over tighten the four governor bolts. They are very easy to snap if just over tightened a foot pound or so.

Have Fun,

Pat

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If you don't have access to a parts washer (pressure cabinet type), after doing the car wash thing, double clean your passageways with carb cleaner (like Berryman's B12) and blow dry with compressed air...it's important that there be no debris left anywhere, especially in the hydraulic spaces..

Oh, and make sure you have a transmission building guide on hand...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. And Pat, I do have the manual at the ready, I've been reading it since I decided to do it myself. Im going to use the B&M stuff to rebuild it with.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
With proper preparation, a clean work area and a manual to follow, C4's are a pretty simple tranny to rebuild...

When you get into it, if you have any questions, be sure to post...this is one of those "do it right the first time" type of jobs, eh? *G*

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Pat, Im going to borrow a Polaroid camera from work, And a friend said he'd video tape the transmission being taken apart so I have some sort of reference to go back to along with the Polaroid pictures. If I do get hung up on something, I'll have the pics and the tape to go back to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts