Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two and half years of wrenching on my Mach I, I got it together enough to try to take my first drive today.

Well it was very discouraging! The C6 would not drop into any forward gear and in reverse it was doing more slipping than gripping.

I have checked the fluid level and it is okay - I had changed it about a month ago. If I disconnect the vacuum line from the intake and put a vacuum tester on it - it holds vacuum. The brake booster is new (rebuilt) and should be okay. Any other simple diagnostics I can do before I just put her away for the winter and start saving for trip to the tranny shop?

I only drove from the street to my garage. I do remember the tranny was slipping then as well.

I would appreciate any and all troubleshooting tips or things I should look at. I would sure like to drive it this summer!

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Make sure the shift linkage is adjusted properly.

If it doesnt start working very soon, get it to a tranny shop...longer you run it with a prob, chances are the worse damage will be done.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
dont run it too long like said before, youl fry everything really bad.. ask me how i know ? i absolutly toasted my C4 before when the pump failed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts