Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
Hope ya'll had a good weekend. Like a lot of folks on here I've been trying to track down and eliminate a vibration. I just had the driveshaft shortened and balanced and my buddy is telling me I need a new transmission yole. The current one has some pretty significant worn spots on it. So here's my problem. The yoke I currently have is a 25 spline. Its 2.381 inches between the "ears" and the holes in the ears are 1.058 inches in diameter. I talked to Brian at National Parts Depot and he said he had 6 different yokes that he sells, none is a 25 spline.

My car is a 65 with a 66 289 motor, and a 4 speed toploader. I don't know where the toploader came from. Does anyone have an idea where I could find a yoke that would work for me?

As always, thanks for the help,
Brian

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Are there any custom driveshat places around you? If so, that's where I'd go.
I'm lucky my neighbor is a driveshaft expert!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
To preclude a wild goose chase....let me suggest quadruple checking the spline count....it'd be very easy to miscount even a few times.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think 25 spline slip yokes are for very early Mustangs, and not applicable to toploaders. The only application I have is for a six cylinder 3 speed, 1964.5-1966, not a toploader.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
The car was originally an I6 with a 3 speed. I figured the yoke would have to go with the 4 speed thats in there now though. Is it possible they changed the transmission somehow to match the yoke instead of the other way around?

Thanks again,
Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts