Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a bad C6 on a 302 in a 1970 Mustang. I know of a guy with a good C6 SB trany out of a mid 80's truck that had a 302. He says it worked fine when pulled.

So I want to swap em, but I have never pulled a trany let alone installed one. My crapy Chiltons manual has removal/installation instructions for a manual transmission but not for an automatic. So I need instructions on how to do this. I guess I will also need a transmission jack to. Any help would be apreciated. Web sites and such would be really cool!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
First thing would be to make sure of the transmissions. It would be unusual to have a C6 behind a small block engine, unless swapped in there by a previous owner (all small blocks got C4's or FMX's). The reason I mention this is that if you're swapping a C6 in place of a C4, you've got some conversion to do, such as drive shaft, NS switch, etc.

To remove the transmssion, remove the starter and remove the inspection plate (attached to front of lower bell housing). Then rotate the engine until each of the 4 torque converter to flexplate studs/nuts are visible. Remove each nut as they come into the access area. Remove the vacuum lines, the drive shaft, and shift linkage. Disconnect the NS switch/backup light wires and get the wires so they won't catch on anything. Then it's just a matter of removing the x-member (and parking brake) then the 6 bell housing to block bolts. Pull the tranny away from the engine until the converter studs clear the flexplate and lower it down.

You'll need the car as high in the air as you can possible get it for the transmsission to be able to clear the underside of the car.

Installation is just the reverse, but make sure the torque converter is fully seated and make sure the drain plug lines up with one of the drain plug holes in the flex plate. Remember, when installing it to NEVER draw the transmission to the engine with bolts. If it doesn't mate flush by itself easily, forcing it together with bolts will crush your pump.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
First be sure of the C-6, they are not easy to find. Check you tranny crossmember.
Does it look like a capital H or a small h. C-6 uses the 3 point (h). As said before get it up high!!
Be safe about it though. Use a tubing wrench on the cooling lines, don't hurry, prepare to get fluid everywhere,
a good tranny jack will prevent your kids from learning MANY cuss word combinations that are not acceptable.
After you unbolt the bellhousing, remove the dipstick tube. It makes an awful noise when you drop
the tranny if you don't.
Also C-4 has a square pan...C-6 has a strange shaped pan, kinda big notch in one corner.
Bruce (TX)
P.S. I currently have tranny fluid in my hair...been pulling one out of my 91 stang!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts