Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[whine] Well, this AM I noticed I was leaking from both ends of the lower radiator hose. The radiator end was coming out of the hose end, but I could never find the source of the upper hose. I suspected the weep hole of the water pump, as it felt a bit wet underneath, but I couldn't see the hole, even with a mirror. I decided to first remove the hose and see what I could see. To do that, I had to drain the radiator. When the lower hose was completely removed, it appeared to be "OK" inside, but it is at least 6 years old, 5 of which was sitting on a shelf.

I then tried to see the weep hole and still couldn't. I decided to replace it. When the engine is cold, and I goose the throttle, I hear a terrible screeching noise, but different than a slipping fan belt. Bearings? OK...remove the radiator so I could remove the fan. The fan flexed just a touch, but the fan rotated extremely easily, as compared to the new pump. But when the fan was finally removed, the pump felt about the same in terms of stiffness. I then moved the alternator over, removed the heater hose and the bypass hose. Undid the water pump bolts, and it began leaking from the seals. Finally got it off, and examined it carefully. NO WEEP HOLE! Go figure!

Now then, the engine was painted with non-rattle can paint, and the can was nearly empty. I compared the Plasti-cote and Duplicolors, but they seemed one or two shades lighter in color. Off to the paint store for more paint, and the paint guy said just add a bit of reducer to it, mix it up, and apply. OK...Also bought some Indian Head Gasket Shellac to seal the bolts and gaskets.

Went home and prepped the water pump for primer and paint. Took all of the water pump bolts (after marking them carefully as to where they came off the pump) to the wire wheel to clean up the threads and take the paint off of the bolt heads. Primed and painted the water pump and bolts.

Meanwhile, while the radiator was out, I noticed that the top tank's paint was lifting a bit, or had rubbed off. I masked off the top tank, applied a scuff pad to it, and lots of brass began to show. Apparently, the manufacturer only applied one coat of paint. After cleaning it, I applied three nice coats of gloss black.

Well, that's it for today, as I have to wait for the paint to cure. Tomorrow, I'll re-assemble everything and hope I have no more leaks. Who knows, the whole problem may have been solved with simply tightening up the hose clamps...

[/whine]

·
Premium Member
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the water pump installed, tightened up the hose clamps, and fired it up. It ran smoothly, and no screeching noises. While idling and waiting for the thermostat to open, I noticed a small pool of fuel under the fuel pump: the pump is leaking around the wide flange on top...a very small leak that only occurs under pressure. Looks like I have some work next weekend.

Apparently, having the engine out for 5 years didn't help a lot of the seals: water pump, fuel pump, etc. I did put a teaspoon or so of 90W in each cylinder, and rotated the engine once a month, so I hope this will be it after replacing the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Letting them sit for several years is definitely not good for seals, hoses, pumps, etc. Mine sat for 12 years and even the fuel had gelled in the carb. That was fun. Replaced just about everything the first few months of driving. Each time out was a new adventure in "What do I get to fix next?" The bad thing I have found about working on these Mustangs is that you just can't fix the one thing that needs to be fixed. There is always something else you gotta fix while you're still fixing, or in order to fix, the first thing you wanted to fix. Water pump? Well, might as well replace the belts, too. While the pump is off, might as well take the front cover off, too, and put a new timing chain in it. The clutch fan don't seem quite right. And it doesn't look as if it's spaced correctly from the radiator, either. Well, the hoses look pretty rough and old, too. Man, look at all the crap in the radiator!! It needs to be sent out to get cleaned for starters, but might as well go ahead and put a new one in it. It may be easier to just say, "Today, I'm going to replace the front of my engine". Good luck on your fuel pump next weekend. I'm sure all the fuel lines are ok. ...and that all the hose clamps are ok, too. ...what about the fuel filter? Geez, if I;m gonna replace the fuel pump, maybe...... :p :p

·
Premium Member
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hee hee hee! Fortunately, I have a brand new brake system, coolant system (except for the top hose now), and fuel system (except fuel pump). I did rebuild the carb and examined the fuel filter (clean as a whistle).

Don't mention the timing chain, dammit!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just one question - what is a weep hole? Where is it? I have a very small coolant leak and it looks like its coming from the lower radiator hose.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The weep hole is a small hole on the lower side of the water pump shaft area. When the seal to the bearings go, water gets past the bearings and drips out of the weep hole. When you see that condition, it means your bearings are shot and you need to replace the water pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts