Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car out on the highway yesterday and a person gets tired of 3000 RPM at cruising. I have a 1970 with a 351C with a FMX and 3.70 gears. How much is a kit to convert to a tremec and how much cutting and drilling. My car is one of six left so I'd like to be gentle. Will the new shifter go though the old hole? Will the firewall or floor have to be cut?Which kit is best?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am looking at changing out my toploader for a Tremec. I am running 3.25:1 rear gears; your 3.70:1 gears must make your Cleveland sing at 70 MPH. I think the TR 3550 has a pretty low first gear; you may be able to change to a numerically lower gear with that tranny. Look at the short input shaft options from Modern Driveline (Bruce) http://www.moderndriveline.com/ .

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I appears that you are really asking two questions 1) converting from an automatic trans to a manual trans, and 2) tips on the Tremec.

Thought of an AOD conversion? They can take lots of HP, offer the relaxed cruising you're looking for, and may make a much easier swap.

good luck..

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I went from a C-4 to a T-5, and ultimately to the Tremec,
I figure my costs were around $2,500 if I had gone straight to the Tremec and skipped the T-5. In that cost is a billet flywheel, scattershield, etc. as well as clutch linkage and pedal assembly. I did the the swap myself, so figure in labor costs if you pay a shop to do it.

In the end, it was worth every penny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts