Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to convert my 4sp. toploader to a Tremec. I'm running a mild 351 Cleveland 4v(if there is such a thing). I've read up some on the swap but my main question is can I bolt in a tranny from a late model (post 97) GT or Cobra? I talked to one place and they said that the shaft length and spline setup were different in the newer stangs, and that I needed to purchase a Tremec 3550 specifically for earlier mustangs.
I'm pretty sure I don't want to go with a t-5, because I don't want to be replacing it regularly, but would a tranny from a newer GT be sufficient for a car pushing 325-350 Hp?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The 3550 is a DIRECT swap for the toploader provided you replace the input shaft and transmission crossmember.

Call Fred at Dark Horse Performance, he'll sell you a brand new 3550 with the input shaft already swapped. He also has a replacement crossmember.

Then, out goes the toploader and in goes the New 5 Speed!

·
Registered
60 Posts
You won't have to go thru as much as I did to get it to fit in a 65, but I understand that you will have to make some modifications to the floor along with a new rear crossmember. If you are interested, you can check out how I modified mine.

http://users3.ev1.net/~wjb/tremec.htm

Good luck,

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts