Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now thinking of a Tremec 3550 swap into my '70 mach 1. The car is is original with an FMX. I am familure with some of the details of the swap, but there are a few different ways to go as far as clutch set-up (factory linkage, hyd, or cable), weather or not to use a spacer or shorten the input shaft, and crossmember selection. using the original placement of the shifter and console is a must. I would appreciate the input anyone might have experiencing this swap. Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't know much about the Tremac, but a friend of mine has a Brand new shortened input shaft that you need. He bought it, then had to go to the spacer adpter. He is building a kit Cobra. If yo need it, it is for sale....

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
When I did mine, I went with the factory linkage. The objective was to keep things looking stock under the hood and in the interior. The only way someone can know that I have a Tremec installed is to look underneath. For the shifter, I used the standard late-model shifter base with a Hurst T-bar handle cut and drilled to fit.

In terms of the remaining parts, I can't remember whether we did the spacer or the shortened input shaft and I can't did up my parts list at the moment. If I find it, I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
You don't state which engine you are going to put the 3550 behind...

The 3550 is not much better than a T5 WRT strength. If you are running anything with any real power you will eat the 3550 pretty quickly.

That said, since you are in San Diego, you might look up John's Mustangs and Classics ( http://www.johnsmustangs.com ) for parts and information. John sells lots of the Tremec transmissions and swap parts.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine is a Cleveland with approx 350 horse power. I'm not that conserned about the durability of the 3550, from what I've read it will easily handle my needs, besides I couldn't refuse the price: 1000.00 with a new bell housing (old style). the tranny is brand new (never been installed) I bought it out of the local paper from a guy who couldn't afford to finish his street rod project. So a five speed it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts