Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 69 Mach 1? How much cutting do I have to perform? Anyone have a picture? Thanks

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Send Johnpro a PT. I think thats the tranny he put in his 69. If I remember right John said he did not have to do any cutting.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Last year we installed a TKO600 into the car in my sig pic ('68FB). We bought it from Darkhorse Performance and used their crossmember. No cutting was necessary, however we did slightly notch the right forward corner of the shifter opening (just to give a little breathing room as the fit of the mini-tower shifter was real tight).

Driveline angle is great. No vibrations up to 160MPH (I haven't mustered the courage to go any faster).

Dave

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I didn't do any cutting at all. Like Dave said, the shifter opening was tight, but I decided there was enough clearance that I didn't cut it. I used the Dark Horse Performance cross member.

If the car has a shaker, there is enough of a drive line angle change that the shaker won't fit right. If don't have a shaker, though, it fits fine. I shimmed my rear 2 degrees because I had a slight vibration at around 100 mph. The 2 degrees seems to have done the trick, as I don't have any vibrations now going through the traps at the track at ~115mph.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johnpro, I was going to email you this morning. Thanks for the input. I bought the TKO last night along with a lakewood bell housing. Thanks again, Jim

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have a couple of these running. On the handle, I use a Hurst handle and mount it on the left side of the Tremec stub. They are very close to the right side of the hump opening but once the boot is on, you don't notice. They are a great tranny. Take a look at the final drive and what rear end ratio as their is not a lot of difference in the .82 final in 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have been looking for a handle that looks semi-"normal" for this swap, where did you get the Hurst handle from?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Take a look at the final drive and what rear end ratio as their is not a lot of difference in the .82 final in 4th and 5th.
That's the TKO-500. The TKO-600 has a .64 over drive, and there's a huge difference between it and the 1:1 ratio of 4th.

I wouldn't run anything less than a 3.50 rear, with the TKO-600, and I wasn't even happy with the 3.50. I changed to a 3.89 and it's about perfect.

I, too, have the Hurst "retro handle" on mine. Got it from DarkHorsePerformance.com

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
John,

Double-check, but I'm pretty sure the TKO600 is available with either the .82 or .64 OD gear.

We're using the 3.89 ratio also. First gear is a BLAST, third pulls the car until your neck gets sore and the OD settles everything down for a beautiful cruise RPM.

Dave

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
C0V3R said:
Dave is right, the 600 comes with the option of both 0.82 and 0.64 OD.
Ok, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the correction, guys. Not sure why one would opt for the .82, given the choice.

I have the .64 and with the 3.89's I'm turning ~2800 RPMs at 80 mph on the freeway. As far as Dave's account of the 1st and 3rd gear ... don't think I could have said it better if I tried *LOL*.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts