Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - got a problem. The rubber hose for my power steering system comes into contact with my headers on sharp turns. The headers then melt through the hose and I end up with fluid smoking out of the car and no more steering.

This was fixed once by a shop that was doing other work for me, but I am getting rather tired of it all.

Suggestions? Steel wrapped hose (airline style)? Can I double the length of the tube and route around?

Anyone dealt with this?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
don't tri-y's require the p.s. lowering bracket?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use the big block routing and bracket for my hoses; it seems to keep everything clear and unmelted. I am also using JBA shorty headers, and have long since thrown the power steering lowering bracket into the scrap bin.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Any speed shop, JC Whitney, etc has the ford lowering bracket. 1 word of warning- keep it tightened!!! It will work loose and eventually rip the bolts out of the frame rail- (life experience!). You can also weld a triangular bracket between the hole and mounting bracket, or do what I did- cut 1" off of it and redrill the hole. It still clears, but doesn't have the extreme rocking of the longer one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lowering bracket only gets the power cylinder/ram off the headers. You will still have the problem of hoses burning on headers. If you can run your hoses down under and back,like on a 65/66, instead of between the shock tower and the headers, they won't burn as easy. I have also seen sheet metal installed between the headers and the shock towers, with three, 3/4 inch stand-offs holding the sheet metal away from the shock towers, just enough for the hoses to fit behind it. The sheet metal acts as a heat shield.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts