Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65 mustang A code 4 speed
Has anyone found a set of tri-ys that actually fit?
I have tried 4 sets of tri-ys new and old even a set i believe to be original shelby headers.
they all either hit the 157 tooth stock bellhousing or the clutch linkage or the pitman arm
some hit all three.
I have a set of hookers that clear all of the above but they hang too low.

Ken

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
a little heat here and there and move the collectors around, and or dimple the tubes as needed, use ball peen hammers, and you can make the headers fit. it part of the fun of working on vintage cars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried that moved the collertor closer to the front of the car about 1" clears the clutch and the bell housing by 1/8" but the pitman arm still wont go far enough. there is just not enough room between the bell housing and the pitman armwhen turned left for both pipes if the collector was rotated 90 degrees so the pipes were on top of each other instead of next to each other it would work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what issues did you have and how did you get them past the pitman arm?
those are the ones i was working with today

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I know it's been about 30 years now, but Cal Pony made a set that we used a lot, including on my 64. I can remove the starter with them on, get to most of the plugs easily and they've lasted 30 years and 430,000+ miles. I Eastwood coated them so they stay silver. Cal Pony has new ownership so you might check with them to see if they are re-making the ones from back then.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all i found on there site was a bracket to drop the power steering

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed Doug Thorley tri y headers on my 64.5 289 4 speed. Only issue was the linkage spring from the clutch fork to the frame was rubbing, I made a little bracket to move it over to the motor mount bolt. This was a conversion from an automatic to a Toploader and I used the Open Tracker z bar and linkage. I have original power steering and did have to use a drop bracket for the ram but I think that is to be expected with any header. No bending dimpling or tweaking on the headers

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I ran the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers on my '66 with both a C4 and toploader and had no fitment issues. It is a factory power steering car and did require the extended PS bracket. If I were to need another set of Tri-Ys, I would purchase the same set.

Reactions: patrickstapler

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I put a set of JBA tri-y headers on my 67 vert, w toploader a s stock z bar. They fit really well and even installed from the top on both sides. Only issue was I had to shim the inner z bar pivot a little to keep the lower pushrod from rubbing.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
what issues did you have and how did you get them past the pitman arm?
those are the ones i was working with today

The pitman arm clearanced it's self on the header no effort on my part
someplace on youtube is a video about dented headers and if they loose power

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the ss headers i have been working with are the ebay ones.
I still only get 1 turn of the steering wheel on a left turn
I also dont want to spend $500 on a set of headers then beat them with a torch and hammer
this is not a race car it needs to like a higher end restoration.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There is no need to beat the hell out of them. My JBA went in with only one minor tweak to the z bar pivot. I also really like how the JBA tri-y headers look like the original Shelby headers but JBA has re-worked the secondary unions to flow much better than the old lobster claws.
they do not hang any lower than the frame rails, I believe you can order them in ceramic to..

Reactions: John O'Neal

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
caveeagle

thank you for the picture these look a lot better fit wise than anything else i have seen
where did you find the best price.
thanks
ken

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
caveeagle

thank you for the picture these look a lot better fit wise than anything else i have seen
thanks
ken
It has been over a year since I bought them, and I am not 100% sure, as I got a lot of things for this car during that timeframe. I think I got them from either ebay, or amazon..

·
Registered
646 Posts
caveeagle

thanks
ken
Speedway motors carrys JBA's and has a promo going on. There is a regular poster here that use to work for JBA, he might have some insight/comments on their design.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Speedway motors carrys JBA's and has a promo going on. There is a regular poster here that use to work for JBA, he might have some insight/comments on their design.
That would be interesting to know if JBA has any flow DATA on them. You can see from my pics, how they re-worked the unions. I would imagine it would have to flow better, but who knows if it makes much difference in a typical street motor..

Now that I have my fitment validated, I plan to pull them out and have them ceramicoated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the coated ones are about $90 more
do you have any idea what it will cost to get them done.

ken

·
Registered
646 Posts
the coated ones are about $90 more
do you have any idea what it will cost to get them done.

ken
Very expensive most places are $250 plus shipping both ways.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts