Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
the coated ones are about $90 more
do you have any idea what it will cost to get them done.

ken
I am expecting $300 for the coating. i Don’t think I paid much more than $250 for the stainless ones. And I was prepared to have to do some tweaking or bending, so I figured why pay up for ceramic, and then have to bang them up on install.

know I know they went in pretty smooth, so maybe it would have been better to buy them already coated. ??

caveeagle

Do you know what model you ordered

ken

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just an FYI.. they do not come with collector adaptors like some headers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just got off the phone with jba
6651-s are $419
6651-sjt are coated in and out come with collectors 490 at summit
found them at advance auto $505 with 25% off but when i tried to order them they said they were out of stock and i could not order them.
was that ebay you found them for $275?

thanks
ken

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes, I got mine on eBay. Part # seems different, so I wonder what changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went down the road of the JBA tri-y headers, h-pipe and full exhaust system In my 69 fastback with a 302 and C4. All system components are really nice. Headers are titanium ceramic coated stainless steel p/n 6651SJT. The rest of the system is the h-pipe p/n 6651SH and full exhaust p/n 40-2650 also full stainless.

First off my car is unmodified and has no collision damage which may impair proper fitting of these components as intended. The header tubes on the drivers side did need to be ‘massaged‘ inorder to clear the steering box. The passenger side no issues. The headers do tuck up nicely so no ground clearance issues but they do interfere with the transmission crossmember. I ended up fabricating a custom crossmember to avoid bending the collectors.
A drop bracket is required for power steering equipped cars.

The h-pipe bolted up to the headers without any issues; I do recommend purchasing copper gaskets as those included are poor quality. The balance of the system Is all mandrel bent stainless tubing but does require a fair amount of fitting and tweaking to complete the installation. Fortunately for me fabrication and welding skills (and patience) are must to end up with a quality installation.

The 2.5” tubing diameter does work well but clearances are tighter as expected. It is also necessary to re-route the rear brake hose at the axle to prevent contact with the hot exhaust tubing. The system includes JBA chambered mufflers p/n 40-251301 which are louder than your typical turbos but sound good all the same.

The car does seem to perform better but I don’t have dyno numbers to prove it.

I’ve completed a number of full restorations but this was still my first exhaust system installation and enjoyed the challenge. As described above, I wouldn’t consider this system to be a one weekend bolt in project. So research before you purchase or have a shop do it and save yourself some frustration.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
mister69
Thank you
I was asking caveeagle what number he found on ebay for $275.
I cant find exhausteseller on ebay

ken

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just an FYI "original" factory tri Y headers hit the pitman arm and idler ( both quick steering) on original GT350s from day one! You would think Cyclone built them "to the car" in '65 , but they all hit. No wonder modern copies hit too. I still have the originals for my '66GT350H dents and all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank you all for your replys.
from the recommendations on this site I ordered the jba-6651 SJT coated headers.
best deal i found was Summit racing $490. I called summit and told them speedway had $20 off promo code she checked it and provided me her code and the speedway promo and i got the $20 off.
$470.99 plus tax final price
I will let you know how they fit a 65 when they arrive.

ken

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the JBA tri y’s on a 66 and they hit the pitman arm pretty hard. I had to “clearance” them quite a bit but I think it may be due to the AFR heads. I also don’t like the smallish 1 1/2” primaries. If I were to buy another set, I’d buy Tri Y’s from Stan’s Headers. Stan (Not affiliates with Stan’s Headers) from FPA told me he doesn’t make the Try Y’s anymore.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update I ordered the jba headers july 16 they were supposed to ship july 31 just got a note from summit new shipping date sept. 7

ken

21 - 35 of 35 Posts