Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to think that all tri-y's were the same but now i found out that many different companies make the same design. My question is who makes tri-y's with the best quality, why are they of better quality than other ones?

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
What you want to look for is the thickness of the head flange, the gauge of the tubing and the length of the tubes to the collector. The longer the tubes, the more torque can be developed (thumbnail explination). I believe that the following companies make the thickest flanges and use the heaviest tubing; Hooker, BBK, and a company out of San Diego but I can't remember their name for nothing.....

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
JBA is out of San Diego

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. In my opinion, you cannot overlook Doug Thorley's headers. Actually, there are two Thorley sources. The more common is Thorley Headers, which can be purchased through Summit racing and/or your local speed shop. The second is Doug's Headers. This version is made by Doug himself, who is back in business after having retired and sold his original business. Still with me? Anyway, these headers are extremely well made, with 3/8" laser cut flanges, 14 guage tube, etc. typically they come nickel plated, but I am having a set made "raw", so I can trial fit them and then get them ceramic coated to last forever. Did I mention that they have a limited lifetime warranty? finally, both versions have websites, so use your web browser and type Thorley Headers. Good luck!

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts