Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, CA headers are nice but since I’m not going to race, a bit of overkill. I have a friend who’s the Charlie Daniels of the TIG welder, I think I could entice him into a custom set for less than that. $6-700 is a little closer to what I’d be willing to spend. Still seems a shame, though.

66, I liked your answer, too.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
You cannot beat the FPA stuff. Get them coated to avoid the rust problems

Seriously though, my FPA long tubes are a work of art and clear everything. They should though, since they were designed and developed for my car. If you get raised-port heads, these are for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
?

If you get raised pet heads said:
Kent, I remember you used to be cutting edge with your car, so I have no problem showing my ignorance. “Raised pet heads”? Sounds either really trick or macabre.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
“Raised pet heads”? Sounds either really trick or macabre.

I'm trying to come up with something clever here... Fail.

Should be raised-port.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
i'm going to chime in anyway..... I have a set of the cheap ebay stainless tri-y's on my car ( 5.0 / t5 / hydraulic clutch ) and they fit perfect with no mods at all. for the price, i'd use them again, might get lucky a second time.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Don’t think you will find a tighter fitting set of headers than FPA. I think @Huskinhano has MAC headers. They are also pretty tight in accordance with his statements here. I’m not familiar with his complete setup though. All I know is what I saw TODAY with mine own eyes.

If money is no object, I wouldn’t think twice...65-66 Mustang, Tri-Y, s.s. stepped, S.B. Ford, std. 289 head bolt pattern, 3'' collector (specify hyd. or mech. clutch)

They check all the boxes and the sound is almost orgasmic.
At that price, ALMOST orgasmic ain't gonna cut it...

Allen

·
Registered
20,324 Posts
You cannot beat the FPA stuff. Get them coated to avoid the rust problems

Seriously though, my FPA long tubes are a work of art and clear everything. They should though, since they were designed and developed for my car. If you get raised-port heads, these are for you.

I had to do a double take, now there’s a name from the past. Welcome back

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had two vehicles with FPA headers on them and they fit perfectly. You get what you pay for and stan is the man.

·
Registered
820 Posts
So, for a street car, are Tri Y's the way to go?

I know everyone swears up and down on the FPA and doug thorleys..

·
Registered
867 Posts
If money is no object, I wouldn’t think twice...65-66 Mustang, Tri-Y, s.s. stepped, S.B. Ford, std. 289 head bolt pattern, 3'' collector (specify hyd. or mech. clutch)

They check all the boxes and the sound is almost orgasmic.

Or you can fall off the deep end and build your own. No crushed tubes, no interference issues, put the tubes wherever you need them or however you want them.

These are equal length , 24" long 1.75" dia. primaries, 12" long 2" dia. secondary's to an oval 3.5" collector out of 316 and 321 stainless tube. The cost isn't as high as Patrick's suggestion, but they take a little time and effort to put together.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Impressive work

Or you can fall off the deep end and build your own. No crushed tubes, no interference issues, put the tubes wherever you need them or however you want them.

These are equal length , 24" long 1.75" dia. primaries, 12" long 2" dia. secondary's to an oval 3.5" collector out of 316 and 321 stainless tube. The cost isn't as high as Patrick's suggestion, but they take a little time and effort to put together.

Unfortunately my welding skills would likely produce something closer to a first grade science project. But, I see you are in NC.......need to practice on a set of Tri-ys???

21 - 35 of 35 Posts