Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading another sugject brought about this post. Who has the earliest ORIGINAL fender with the little triangle stamped into the fender flange? I have always been curious about this trivia, and wonder if others have taken note of this stamping. I am pretty certain that you will find that the left fender with the triangle will be in use before the right side, I suspect we may have cars with the stamping only on the drivers side. The little triangle seems to be something of a saftey mandate that lets the fender crush at that point and shed some of the impact during a crash. Perhaps someone will be kind enough to post an image of the triangle stamping on here so we are all on the same page.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
My 7/2/65 left fender does not have the triangles.

G

·
Riverside66 said:
The last number is a 2. My Passenger side fender does not have these.
Yes, but the question was for model year 1965. All '66 should have the triangles on the driver side fender.

Latest I have seen is a late July '65 car with them. Would have to get the data plate info and date stamp of the fender. Have access to it, so can check that this weekend (hopefully!).

·
Registered
395 Posts
CharlesTurner said:
All '66 should have the triangles on the driver side fender.
Is that 66 model year or 66 build year. My Dec. 11 65 built, 66 sj coupe does not have the triangles. Dates on the fenders are 11 6 D3. I think they are original to the car.

Larry

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Oct 30 SJ car does not have them. What about the "Ford Tooling" fenders sold today, do they have them on only the left fender, on both fenders, or are they used at all. These little triangles have always been a curious thing to me.

G

·
Jeff can probably help with the SJ '66 fenders. At least Dearborn started in very late '65 with the triangles on the driver side fender.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just came across a San Jose coupe 1966 without the triangles. I'll get the vin and date of the car, sheet metal dates, and then post pictures.

Mark Vasquez

·
Registered
135 Posts
CHARLES.

just checked my two low milegae unrestored San Jose GT Coupes
and here is what i found.

03M door tag.
no triangles on either fender. date codes 11 23 left fender. 11 03 right fender

15L door tag
no triangles on either fender. date codes 10 02
left fender. 9 28 right fender

And from memory and notes taken on my travels both mike murrays unrestored dark green 65 coupe 22H and the 65 gold convertible dont have triangles either and they are both dearborn cars. maybe mike can provide date codes from the fenders to start a time line

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE
AUSTRALIA.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just some additional shots of an original 1966 San Jose coupe. Date on door reads 30M. All dates on the sheet metal are correct or within the build time frame.

Mark Vasquez

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
CharlesTurner said:
Jeff can probably help with the SJ '66 fenders. At least Dearborn started in very late '65 with the triangles on the driver side fender.
Since these parts were not stamped at a specific San Jose only plant then the usage is not likely (other than which plant got the last shipment of the earlier style fenders ;) plant specific thing.

We need to collect more information (from original cars to see if it may be a hard/exact change over (hard since we don't really know when these cars were exactly built) or if this was either or for a while.

Will be interesting to see how early these first showed up.

I would guess it was a fairly exact running change to the new style since it was a safety (read "possible lawsuit") issue.

So, as I understand the information being shared, we have the change over somewhere around mid year of 66 production.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My NJ '66 with a September '65 build date doesn't have them on either side.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
mrkadra66 said:
My NJ '66 with a September '65 build date doesn't have them on either side.
Could you post the dates from the fenders (both) and a sample from the inner fender panels or braces?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm just a mechanical engineer. I'd like to see and explaination of how a small
stamped triange on a low carbon sheet metal fender can be claimed to aid front end
crush to get around a lawsuit! :shrug:

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
slim said:
I'm just a mechanical engineer. I'd like to see and explaination of how a small
stamped triange on a low carbon sheet metal fender can be claimed to aid front end
crush to get around a lawsuit! :shrug:
The comment was a general one (concerning law suits) in that if there was something identified as a safety issue I would think that it would be something they would address quickly rather than be incorporated when every they ran out of the earlier versions.

We see examples of this in Ford documents in 66 and 68 where new attention was being made for specific process to the point where inspectors were assigned to check only those items

Not an engineer, but doesn't it make sense (just asking) that the dimples in the inner fender panels and the ones in the fenders as we're discussing) that these would work to absorb an impact rather than transfer it to the rest of the body?

Wasn't there so we're all guess why ;)

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Not expecting someone here to have a difinative answer. Just a comment!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is a guy who calls himself "Kar Nut" on one of the other Mustang forums who may be able to provice an answer to this puzzle. Have no idea if he lurks here, but maybe someone here knows him and will call his attention to this thread. He sometimes has inside information about Ford products.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My June coupe fender is 6 11.The vert is on the trailer but I think it is 6 9 or 10.NO triangles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts