Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever install one of these kits or know someone who did? More than likely I will install leaf springs in my mustang because I have already relocated the leaf springs. But I keep finding myself looking at four link setups. Since I have plenty of time to decided I randomly search the subject.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have seen those before but that;s about it. I would also like to know if anyone has. But that particular vendor has an extremely bad reputation. If you think people rag on CJP here that's nothing Jlaw makes CJP look like the best company ever. If you do order something from them make sure you use a card you can dispute a charge on....

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just reading that alone would make me stay away from them. But would still like to know if anyone ever used this kit.

He has a kit on ebay but its different than the one I posted above. If I did purchase something, I would do so through paypal.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Watched a video today on Maier Racing’s website, he says these kits aren’t worth it. He suggests his leaf springs with good shocks and a panhard rod. I have no clue on this, but I trust him.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What performance issues are you having or do you expect that these systems will cure? by the time you add coilovers and the mounts you'll be in several yacht bucks...
I'm not even close to having it on the ground as a roller yet. So no issues so far. lol

My original plan was to use leaf springs with Caltracs and that's still the plan. Just after pricing the better leaf springs plus the cost of the Caltracs I'm pushing $1,000 plus. So my thinking is now would be a better time to make up my mind. Which I thought I had done but like I mentioned above, having a linked rear set up keeps calling my name. Most of my research says the leafs will be more than enough for my needs. Some drag strip use and maybe one day I could drive it around at Sebring just for fun and not to be competitive. Mostly street driven.

My build is a 418 with 500HP and a built G force T5. I've already installed the DSE mini tubs and even installed the crites leaf spring relocation kit. One thing I have not priced yet is a good coilover spring. Which could help make up my mind. I was more curious to see if anyone had installed the triangulated setup I had posted about. I welcome any and all feedback, good or bad running a linked rear setup over leafs.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'm not even close to having it on the ground as a roller yet. So no issues so far. lol

My original plan was to use leaf springs with Caltracs and that's still the plan. Just after pricing the better leaf springs plus the cost of the Caltracs I'm pushing $1,000 plus. So my thinking is now would be a better time to make up my mind. Which I thought I had done but like I mentioned above, having a linked rear set up keeps calling my name. Most of my research says the leafs will be more than enough for my needs. Some drag strip use and maybe one day I could drive it around at Sebring just for fun and not to be competitive. Mostly street driven.

My build is a 418 with 500HP and a built G force T5. I've already installed the DSE mini tubs and even installed the crites leaf spring relocation kit. One thing I have not priced yet is a good coilover spring. Which could help make up my mind. I was more curious to see if anyone had installed the triangulated setup I had posted about. I welcome any and all feedback, good or bad running a linked rear setup over leafs.
Your mention of Sebring implies you also want good handling, for that I would never choose a 4-link. A 3-link like SoT or a torque-arm style would be a better option. But I know how you feel , down the rabbit hole of increasing cost and complication !

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was under the car today and took a few measurements and one can could install a triangulated setup. But the more I looked at what I have done I feel the leafs are my best option.

Which brings up another question. Do I run caltracs with a torque arm or is a torque arm run without any other traction device? I do plan on building my own X brace connecting the frame connectors so I could add the TCP torque arm to it without much effort. Would a panhard bar an improvement on a torque arm setup?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I was under the car today and took a few measurements and one can could install a triangulated setup. But the more I looked at what I have done I feel the leafs are my best option.

Which brings up another question. Do I run caltracs with a torque arm or is a torque arm run without any other traction device? I do plan on building my own X brace connecting the frame connectors so I could add the TCP torque arm to it without much effort. Would a panhard bar an improvement on a torque arm setup?
I haven't looked in to them much, but I think torque arms pretty much always use links, not leaf springs, so that would require a panhard bar and coilovers, no Caltracs.

·
Registered
688 Posts
This is what I was making reference to.
Yeah that's a torque arm... There is a company selling a pretty nice torque arm suspension for the mustangs. I would have to dig it up but it is not cheap. Basically you are putting a Camaro suspension into a Mustang so dig up some pics of say an 89 F-body and it will all make sense.
I like that style of suspension as it's also adjustable.

Or just find some sort of IRS to put in there. The Miata one has been mentioned before as it is physically the right size but they barely handle the little power a stock Miata puts out. Maybe I'll do an IRS on a future project.

·
Registered
621 Posts

To answer your question

“Do I run caltracs with a torque arm or is a torque arm run without any other traction device?”
-It’s one or the other, as both serve the same purpose, obviously executed differently. If you’re after corner carving, the torque is better suited. Caltracs work well, but I believe are geared more towards drag racing. That TCP torque arm is a nice piece. The little dogbone on the chassis attachment end allows for bind free movement, both up and down, and in roll.

Would a panhard bar an improvement on a torque arm setup?
-panhard bar serves a completely different purpose, but it would be a good addition.

In the book I attached an image of, he addressed the many different types of rear suspensions. Leaf spring is most common, and he had a very simple recipe for good handling with leaf springs. And that was to remove as many jobs from the leaf springs as you can. Leaf springs hold the rear of the car up, transmit forward (or rearward) movement, locate the axle laterally, and control axle torque. By adding that torque arm, you take the the job of controlling axle torque away. And adding that panhard bar takes the job of locating the axle laterally. This all gives better predictability in your rear suspension.

Didn’t mean to add so much, but I hope that was helpful. The rear end on my car feels planted and predictable (I have a panhard and slide a links on my rear leafs). It was great advice for me.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Years ago, I was reading on corner-carvers.com that some aftermarket torque arm suspensions could cause the rear end to bounce under breaking. Apparently this design would cause the rear tires to momentarily loose traction when under heavy braking. This was about the time when the Camaro first had it. I didn't read any further on it, just curious about it.

·
Vendor
5,227 Posts

Let me know if you have any questions. (y)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts