Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
This is what I was making reference to.
I'm planning on using the subframe connectors and "cage" that allows the use of that torque arm but hope not to need it as it is very expensive for what it is.

I'm running the SoT front coil over system and love it. I plan on running Shauns 3 link rear in the future when discretionary income allows.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Let me know if you have any questions. (y)

Do you know the winning lottery numbers? lol

If I could afford the high end set ups I would buy one. Since I am not in a position to do so I am left with looking for other options. Another issue I may have not is I have already relocated the front leaf mounting location which could affect the mounting position of most aftermarket kits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you started this process yet? I will be doing the same. Seems to be very few SoT 3 link/8.8 installs. Please post about it if/when you do.
No I have not. I have to talk with Shaun(@SOT) about the 8.8 verse 9 inch. It may just require a little trimming.
I would like to keep the 8.8. It came with the car. I may have to chop it a little add gears etc.
It has disc.
I figure. New 3.73 gears 31 spline axles and a gucci cover and call it a day.
Pete

·
Registered
737 Posts
i think a triangulated 4 link is a downgrade from the leaf spring set up, i would not consider this cheap 4 link on any vehicle lol. the key to a good suspension is full articulation with no binding and keeping the differential on the same path without swaying. adding a panhard bar & torque arm to the stock leafs will make it do about anything you need it too. leaf springs get a bad reputation because in stock form they are expected to control the cars movement up & down + side to side + control the rearends pinion angle... no single component is designed to do all that work. keep in mind good traction bars will mimic a torque arm, but not as effective. the major benefit to a torque arm is the ability to adjust pinion angle and it puts the load up closer or at the instant center. a panhard + torque arm ( or traction bars) are less than 1k together. if you are budget minded this setup will put you miles ahead. personally i think this combo is better than a 3 link setup mostly because the torque arm has further capability than a very short top link on a 3 link setup.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fox Mustangs use a triangulated four link, Quadrabind it's called? Maybe I'm wrong on that but the Fox guys always want to modify those cause they do everything OK but nothing well.
Honestly, good leafs plus some del-a-lum bushings or a panhard and some Bilsteins are fully adequate for street thrashing. I do it all the time, lol.
Like others have mentioned, maybe the 3 link is where you upgrade to from a well sorted leaf setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fox Mustangs use a triangulated four link, Quadrabind it's called? Maybe I'm wrong on that but the Fox guys always want to modify those cause they do everything OK but nothing well.
Honestly, good leafs plus some del-a-lum bushings or a panhard and some Bilsteins are fully adequate for street thrashing. I do it all the time, lol.
Like others have mentioned, maybe the 3 link is where you upgrade to from a well sorted leaf setup.
they do everything OK but nothing well. < nailed it.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Excellent advice and I will be going with leaf springs for sure. I do like the Maier option and have looked at it more than once. Since I have the DSE mini tubs that means the section of the rear frame that the Maiers mounts to is moved inboard on my car so I would have to modify the Maier set up to work on my car. At that point is it worth it to buy it or just make my own. I do plan on emailing Maier to see if I could order it to fit.

The Maier video is a good video but I feel it's a little misleading. They claim their kit is priced well and price to be the best option on the market for leaf springs. Maiers pretty much says there's no need for mini tubs that the cost isn't worth it. They don't get into what it would cost to install the flares they recommend. If I buy their kit and according to them I need the shock upgrade I will be in it for over $2000.

I had the Crites relocation kit made to accept Caltracs, but at this point I'm not sure that's my best option given what my car will see and be used for. Since it will be driven on the street more than the drag strip, one can easily say the car would be much funner to drive with the better handling set up over a drag racing set up.

So the next question would be is the Maier kit worth it over just a plain old single panhard bar?

·
Registered
737 Posts
what do you have for springs now ? and do you need new leaf springs ? the rest of the maier kit is basically panhard, new leaf springs & all the harware for the springs. if you dont need to replace all of that you could get the pan hard first, then replace the bushings, shocks etc as you need them. doing so also lets you space out the purchase and not take a big $ hit at once lol

·
Registered
737 Posts
keep in mind the maier leaf springs are a performance spring. and will lower your car 1". i guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend

·
Registered
682 Posts
Do you know the winning lottery numbers? lol

If I could afford the high end set ups I would buy one. Since I am not in a position to do so I am left with looking for other options. Another issue I may have not is I have already relocated the front leaf mounting location which could affect the mounting position of most aftermarket kits.

Yeah... There are lots of options out there at prices that... Well the suspension kit costs nearly what the value of the car is... Nice kits but to me the car isn't worth that kind of investment.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My build is still a bare shell and in the sheet metal stage. The front MII suspension is installed and the fitment checked. That's when I realized I wanted the two inch drop. The leaf springs are the old original springs and they're not even bolted down. I just stuck them in there to check the fit and fitment of the leaf spring relocation kit after I installed it. I was also going to bolt down the axle housing so I could roll the quarter panel lips. Car isn't even rollable yet. So I need to purchase new leaf springs and shocks anyways. The front has a 2 inch drop so the rear will need to match. Prefer not to use drop blocks.

On my last build, which was a long time ago. I used the Mustang Plus leafs and they were good leafs. They went in and the ride height never varied from the day I installed them. So I'm kind leaning towards those leafs and in a 5 leaf with the reverse eye for a 2 inch drop. I just don't see the need to spend double on the leaf springs. I would rather add the Caltracs later to the set up if I needed them and I feel the caltracs would offer much better traction than just using the Maier leafs by themselves.

I've tried to search for Panhard brackets to see if I can build my own. I haven't gotten to far into it because of the hours I'm working at work. But it looks like its something I can pull off and will try to purchase a book on the subject and read up on it before I tackle the job. I see no reason to buy a high dollar kit and then have to modify it to fit my car. The frame section where these kits mount to is moved inboard on my car for the DSE mini tubs and the leafs are moved inboard 3 inches on each side.

Since My leafs are moved inboard I can't help but think a panhard bar would be a good option for my build. Plus the feedback from those who have installed them have nothing but great things to say about how great the car handles. Will I drive the car that hard, probably not. But if I plan on trying to stuff a 315 tire in the back it will be a tight fit so keeping the axle centered may be a good idea. Plus I think it will add a little cool factor to my build.

I really do appreciate everyone's input. It's very helpful.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My build is still a bare shell and in the sheet metal stage. The front MII suspension is installed and the fitment checked. That's when I realized I wanted the two inch drop. The leaf springs are the old original springs and they're not even bolted down. I just stuck them in there to check the fit and fitment of the leaf spring relocation kit after I installed it. I was also going to bolt down the axle housing so I could roll the quarter panel lips. Car isn't even rollable yet. So I need to purchase new leaf springs and shocks anyways. The front has a 2 inch drop so the rear will need to match. Prefer not to use drop blocks.

On my last build, which was a long time ago. I used the Mustang Plus leafs and they were good leafs. They went in and the ride height never varied from the day I installed them. So I'm kind leaning towards those leafs and in a 5 leaf with the reverse eye for a 2 inch drop. I just don't see the need to spend double on the leaf springs. I would rather add the Caltracs later to the set up if I needed them and I feel the caltracs would offer much better traction than just using the Maier leafs by themselves.

I've tried to search for Panhard brackets to see if I can build my own. I haven't gotten to far into it because of the hours I'm working at work. But it looks like its something I can pull off and will try to purchase a book on the subject and read up on it before I tackle the job. I see no reason to buy a high dollar kit and then have to modify it to fit my car. The frame section where these kits mount to is moved inboard on my car for the DSE mini tubs and the leafs are moved inboard 3 inches on each side.

Since My leafs are moved inboard I can't help but think a panhard bar would be a good option for my build. Plus the feedback from those who have installed them have nothing but great things to say about how great the car handles. Will I drive the car that hard, probably not. But if I plan on trying to stuff a 315 tire in the back it will be a tight fit so keeping the axle centered may be a good idea. Plus I think it will add a little cool factor to my build.

I really do appreciate everyone's input. It's very helpful.
i am in the process of building a panhard w/ fabricated leaf spring plates. torque link, trans crossmember & ron morris styled engine mounts. everything will be detailed in my build thread. if you can weld and have basic fabrication skills then its pretty simple. im guessing i will have roughly $100 in to the pan hard.. tubing, allstar weld-in threaded tube ends & qa1 x-series rod ends.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
i am in the process of building a panhard w/ fabricated leaf spring plates. torque link, trans crossmember & ron morris styled engine mounts. everything will be detailed in my build thread. if you can weld and have basic fabrication skills then its pretty simple. im guessing i will have roughly $100 in to the pan hard.. tubing, allstar weld-in threaded tube ends & qa1 x-series rod ends.

I too have a build thread. I will go look for yours and follow along. I have no problem fabbing anything. Mostly I'm limited by the tools I don't have. lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts