Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a telephone report today from Trick Flow on my Twisted Wedge heads. They confirm several valves wobble in their valve guides. The worst is number eight intake valve, which also bent the push rod. Yeow, I could have lost the whole engine.

I should see the heads here sometime next week. Considering it's busy season for me (I'm a CPA), I hope I can get it all back together in time for Knott's.

Russ

your url here.JPG

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have two sets that I'm running, is this a single problem or has Trick flow said a common one. Meanind a design change is required.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trick Flow used iron valve guides in Twisted Wedge heads until recently when they changed to bronze guides. They admit to early valve guide failure on many of their heads and in my case are replacing them with bronze.

My engine gave symptoms that I blamed on other causes. I attributed blowing blue (oil) smoke out the exhaust on deceleration to piston rings not yet set. I attributed the eventual valve ticking noise to a small exhaust leak, and later to a misadjusted valve. Eventually the engine developed a high RPM miss that I attributed to everything in sight including the coil which I changed.

The real sphincter muscle tightener was the night the engine went flat while accelerating. It sounded just like a valve stuck open. Yeow... I think my heart stopped also.

Russ

your url here.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts