Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trick Flow says I have iron valve guides and bronze valve guides will cure my problems. Arrrgh... I don't want to pull the heads... Arrrgh. Gotta get it all done before Knott's. Yikes!

Any motivational words or knowledgeable volunteers living near Irvine would be appreciated.

Russ

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Are they gonna fix it for free?

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp, 17x8 TTII's, ect...
http://www.289mustang.com/images/vmfcar.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, so the Summit guy says.

I am thinking about having the guides changed locally so as not to lose control. I really do want to have it back together before Knott's.

The heads have about 6,000 miles on them. Is there anything else I should ask them to do?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I did a search and couldn't find anything. What was the original problem?

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valve clatter isolated to number eight cylinder (valve adjusted by myself and by a mechanic), blowing smoke on deceleration, and a miss that has developed at progressively lower RPM's. The engine has about 6,000 miles on it, but did sit for one and a third years while the car was in restoration.

Summit asked me to pressurize the cylinder, remove the valve springs, then check for wobble. I will do that right before pulling the heads, however, I am convinced the heads will have to come off.

Russ

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I just bought a set of Trick Flows and they came with bronze guides. Did you originally buy these heads bare? If not and they came with iron guides, then I'd try and get Summitt to replace them. That shouldn't be a problem for them, since they own Trick Flow, or so I'm told. It sounds like you may have gotten an old version of the head, the one that gave the TFS heads a bad name for awhile. More info on TFS heads here: http://www.totalengineairflow.com/

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are second version heads. Shipped to me in April 1997. Wow, only 6,000 miles in four years.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Overall, how well do you like the Trick flow heads? I am thinking about purchasing a pair for the c-vert.

thanks

Don
1965 Convertable, 351W, Tremmec, 9", continuous "improvements"
1996 Explorer XLT - daily driver
2000 Taurus - wife's driver
2001 Giant OCR3 - my 2 wheel road warrior for getting in shape

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They certainly work as advertised and make a ton of power. My personal inconvenience items are 1) the obvious iron valve guide problem, and 2) all of the bolt and spark plug holes are pure aluminum... no helicoils... have to be careful not to strip anything. Some of the head brands come fully helicoiled (Edelbrock). I did absent mindedly over tighten a valve cover bolt and ended up helicoiling the stripped hole.

Hope this helps.
Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts