Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for final assembly of my motor. I have the 170cc Trick Flow 11r Top End kit with their Stage 1 cam. Wondering what intake and carb I can run to get the most ponies out of it.

Their dyno test (432HP) had the performer RPM air gap and their own carb. I'm thinking there may be a better setup and possible at less of a cost. It's a weekend driver, no track.. just looking to have fun driving it and get tossed back into the seat when you punch it. ;-) I have a world class T5 going in between the motor and my 9" rear currently with 3.25 gears.

- Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake manifold
- Trick Flow by Quick Fuel Technology Track Heat® carburetor
- Hooker Super Competition headers with 1" 3/4 primaries
- 3" dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow mufflers

Reactions: Thegundog

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
The Stealth or RPM intake will be your best choice assuming this is a 302 based engine. The Stealth is usually cheaper if buying new. The RPM is the same as the Airgap as far as performance goes on the 302. Check out Holley's reman carbs on ebay. I have bought a few of them straight from Holley with no issues. They have great prices if you find one that fits your needs.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/holleyperformance/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
What CFM carb did they have on the Air Gap manifold to generate those numbers?

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Be careful with the WC T5 with that much power, I blew up 3d gear in a new T5Z behind a 331 in a FFR Cobra.

·
Registered
35,904 Posts
Weiand Stealth #8020 and Summit M2008VS600.

FWIW, dyno tests are great...... if you're running the exact same set-up as dyno'd.....and, don't focus on the HP number, but look at horsepower and torque production THROUGHOUT the rpm range.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You don't need that large of an exhaust set up on a mild 302 either. The best would be long tubes and 2" or 2 1/4" or so on the pipes. A good set of tri-y's will also make decent power.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
976 Posts
You don't need that large of an exhaust set up on a mild 302 either. The best would be long tubes and 2" or 2 1/4" or so on the pipes. A good set of tri-y's will also make decent power.
I would consider this setup far from mild. I would not run anything smaller then 2.5" exhaust.

·
Registered
35,904 Posts
I would consider this setup far from mild. I would not run anything smaller then 2.5" exhaust.
At 432 cfm MAXIMUM flow at .600" valve lift a dual exhaust system just slightly over 2-1/4" is needed. I'd say 2-1/4" will be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I was thinking 750 carb was overkill. My original choice would have been the 600 or 650.

Looking at some comparisons with the Weiand Stealth vs the air gap, the difference is not much, but the Weiand is definitely cheaper.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I would not go near that engine with tri-y's. A buddy is yanking his tri-y's off his 66 Shelby as it peaks out at 6k where it used to spin freely to 7k with long tube headers. 2" pipes on that? Not me. I have noticed no ill effects on my warm 289 since putting the 2 1/2" Magnaflow system on.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally have my build nearly complete. Still need to figure out a carb. it's a price and important decision, so I need to really figure this out.

Final Build
170cc Trick Flow 11r Top End kit (Less the stage 1 cam)
Comp Cam XE274hr cam
Weiand Stealth 820
Likely Hooker headers with 1" 3/4 primaries
Manual Trans
3.25 rear end (For now. Will be changing to 3.73 next year)

Does anyone with this setup have a proven suggestion. I'm thinking 650cfm is sufficient.

If I decide on Holly, there are so many variations. What should I be looking for?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
My 289 is similar. My cam is a bit milder. Manual trans and 3.55 gears. My basic Holley 600cfm w/vacuum secondaries and electric choke works great for a spirited street cruiser. I have my rev limiter set at 6,300 rpm and it can bump that without hesitation. I have had the same carb since the engine was stock until now. I see no need to go bigger.

A double pumper may be more tuneable, but I am fine with the manners of vacuum secondaries.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I recently pulled an aluminum Holley 670 Street Avenger off of my 302 to make way for the Sniper. It ran great, but was definitely the upper limit on my motor. It would probably be perfect with your setup.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What kinda of hp do you expect with your final build? Is this primarily a street car?

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should be around the 430 range. It’s going to be a fun driver.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I would do a 600 Holley DP on a Victor Jr or an Airgap intake

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
This I would use a 600 Holley vac secondary carb on the Stealth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts