Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stainless Steel Brakes Corp returned my rebuilt SSBC calipers yesterday, so I hope to get them on this weekend (been getting a little mustang withdrawl over the past month)

Any guidance is appreciated.

Last night I installed some new stock pads. They just drop in, and you then screw in a retaining plate with some small clips to keep downward pressure on the pads, right? Seems to me this will interfere with the free movement of the pads...Is this the way it's supposed to be done?

Installed some speed bleeders at the same time. Just screwed them in until they seemed to bottom out. Is this right or do they need to be backed out some to work properly?

On the installation, it seems pretty straightfoward. Reinstall calipers on rotors, reconnect lines, bleed brakes in proper order......Am I missing any essential details here?

My first attempt at disc brakes....Thanks for any advice - Dickson

·
Registered
923 Posts
Drop them in and attach the 1 bolt that holds the plate in position. Thats all it takes. You don't need alot of force on the pads. the pressure of the caliper hold the pads in place.
Any force put on the pad from the disk , as your applying the brakes, pushes the pad towards the caliper not the plate that you screwed on, that force will keep the pad in the unit and not push it out the insert hole..
Dave

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The speed bleeders won't let air back into the system before you tighten the bleeders.... So bleeding the brakes is a "one man" operation.

Bleed the brakes with the bleeder slightly off the seat. Tighten the bleeders aganst the seat when finished bleeding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts