Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a seasoned parts hunter on that site, I often see items get relisted for various reasons.
This tactic seems to be a new one on me.
While looking at parts for my 69 Vert, I noticed an item that I wanted.
Started low and went up to....say...$300.00, reserve not met!
30 days later same item appears...starting at....you got it, $300.00!
Checking the other auctions I notice that the majority of this sellers stuff does not sell due to reserve not met.
But then it is relisted with the highest bid as the starting price!
One item that I did notice after it had finished on the first (or third) go around was bid up $60.00 from the starting price.
Still "reserve not met"
Is this seller just testing the waters on the first go round or is this a scam to ratchet up the price.
Some of these items are VERY hard to find and may appear at auction only 3-4 times a year in various conditions.
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another trick is "also available for sale locally" on a No Reserve auction. If the seller doesn't like the price that it looks like they'll get, they just cancel the auction, claim it has been sold, and try again another time.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Johnpro, No they are not ended early, just relisted with the previous auctions high bid as the new starting bid.
I'm sure you have seen these auctions as you have been searching parts.
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
believe it or not, if the item did not sell, [censored] will relist at no additional cost, so the people who relist with the higher price are experiencing wishful thinking.

maybe people should stop smoking crack!!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Is he still posting a reserve on the relisted items? It might be he didn't get what he thought they were worth and did a reality check. [censored] wont charge a relisting fee if the parts sell a second time but they will charge the final value fee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts