Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so everyone knows I just sold the fastback. I was 100% honest with the buyer and even produced photos of what he asked for (very few). Then I recommend he send someone to look at it first as I do not recommend buying without looking (except for the newest purchase I just made). He says it's fine and sends me the money. Then takes around 2 weeks to get the car. He gets it today and just said that there was more rust than what I described and goes on. What the heck! I went on and on about what I found wrong with the car and what he should look at AND insisted that he come look at to make sure he wants it. I'm feeling bad now b/c he's mad, but what do I do? Sorry, guys, just thought I'd vent.

N

·
0 Posts
I saw your ad on here and ebay. I thought you were very forward with info. I would tell the guy that it is his responability to inspect the car before purchasing. Dont let him talk you into giving money back or other crap like that. Consider it a done deal and move on.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Which car was that?

·
Registered
136 Posts
All sales final, no refunds.

If it's me, I'm going to go tell him to go **** himself. I'm not taking it back.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Your buyer is suffering from buyer's remorse. It sounds like did your very best to describe the vehicle in detail, provide him pictures, and not hide anything from him. You even asked him to come look at and he declined and gave you money. I'd have to say that you did all you could and he didn't, shame on him.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I agree, you suggested he look at it, offered pics, and advised an inspection before purchase. Your conscience is clean, he made a poor buying decision to make the deal sight unseen (never a good idea on an old car) and now he's trying to make you feel guilty to cover his poor judgement, or maybe just scam you to get some of the money back. No matter how accurately you describe the condition, there's no way to know how someone else will perceive the condition from their own perspective. If it were me, I'd politely remind him of the attempts you made to get him to check the car before buying it and you feel the car was described accurately. If he tries to push for a refund of some amount appologize for the difference in opinion, but insist the deal stands.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Don't worry about it. It sounds like the buyer doesn't know enough about unrestored 40 year old cars to be playing in this game. But that's his problem, not yours. An unrestored 40 year old car with no rust? Give me a break!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I would not give him one dime back because of his "after the deal" re-negotiation etc. These clowns are usually a lot more trouble down the road that it could possibly be worth. Frivilous small claims actions for mis-representation etc.

I would only offer to refund his entire purchase price and you keep the car. I'll bet he shuts up and takes the car on your terms. All or nothing!!!

If he takes the money and walks, there are a ton of others out there that would love to have it at a fair price.

Just my $2 worth (inflation, you know)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys, I appreciate it. I was feeling pretty bad about it. I'm not the kind of person to hide the possible problems. I lived and learned about what there could be wrong with a car. The sad thing is that this guy even owns a classic car dealership I think.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I would not give him one dime back because of his "after the deal" re-negotiation etc. These clowns are usually a lot more trouble down the road that it could possibly be worth. Frivilous small claims actions for mis-representation etc.

I would only offer to refund his entire purchase price and you keep the car. I'll bet he shuts up and takes the car on your terms. All or nothing!!!

If he takes the money and walks, there are a ton of others out there that would love to have it at a fair price.

Just my $2 worth (inflation, you know)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If he does own a dealership then I'd have no doubt he's playing you. If he has any experience in the biz he would know exactly how much your car is worth on the retail market with nothing more than an accurate description of condition and the year, make, model. Having dealt with private party purchases before he knows that if he complains enough a certain percentage of conscientous sellers would cave in and agree to some money back, increasing his profit margin.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Rickmaan said:
If he does own a dealership then I'd have no doubt he's playing you. If he has any experience in the biz he would know exactly how much your car is worth on the retail market with nothing more than an accurate description of condition and the year, make, model. Having dealt with private party purchases before he knows that if he complains enough a certain percentage of conscientous sellers would cave in and agree to some money back, increasing his profit margin.
Yup. That's the game.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Gas_Pumps said:
+1

If this guy continues to pi$$ and moan about your alleged inaccurate description, I'd be tempted to refund all of his money and flatly refuse to sell him the car. Why? He's gonna cause problems for you down the road.

If you do go through with the sale, be sure to draw up a written "bill of sale" that you and the buyer both sign that specifies he is buying the car "as is" without any warranty of any kind.

G

·
0 Posts
He probably thought he was getting a killer deal and when found that he paid fair market value, it ticked him off.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I went and re-read your ad. here is ALL that you said about the rust issues of the car.

"I have found that it should get new shock towers (small rust through on the bottom of each) and floor supports. Both of these are not pricey and any resto shop can do it with the engine out.
-Rust at the corners near the cowl (I have been told that the cowl does not need replaced)
-needs a new heater core
-Overall, a very solid car, especially if you can do the welding. If not, my resto shop has quoted around $600 for the rust repairs."

So basically you told him that it had a "small rust through at the bottom of each shock tower." You also told him that it needed both "floor supports" and had "rust at the corners near the cowl" but that the cowl "does not need to be replaced. You stated quite clearly that a professional restoration shop looked at the car anad quoted "around$600" to do all of the rust repairs. If this is an accurate discription of the rust damage then he has no reason to complain. If it is NOT then he does have a right to complain.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Rickmaan and Charles are right. If the guy owns a dealership, he's just trying to shake you down. Dealers hate to pay fair market value--it's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I added onto that description when I sold it to this guy. He bought it through email and I revised the description several times as I found various issues on the car the past two weeks and asked if he'd like a refund. He hasn't come back at me yet, but I told him that it's final when I send the title. I just sent the title late last week b/c he took his sweet time getting the car. :(

To tell you the truth, I haven't found any law where I am liable for anything he has found. This is through criminal and civil courts. I'm feeling better about it. I did add a few paragraphs of info. via email (I kept all emails btw). I just apologized for what was found but I reiterated this info. I just gave you guys. I told him that I have the receipt for what the resto shop gave me. I'm pretty much done with it. I'll just block his email if he decides to bombard me with complaints.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Was this the car with the bondo and roofing tar filling in the rust holes at the shock tower frame rail joint?

Although I wouldn't refund a dime of the guys money, I may have been a little more descriptive of the rust situation....

Dave

·
Registered
915 Posts
I hate to say this , But if you didnt have him sign something that says "as is" or "no warranties" he still come back on you. He only would have to find One thing wrong with the description you sent him. Then it could be construed as False advertising or inaccurate description, and can put you on the hook. The thing is he knows this stuff if he owns a dealership and is trying to pull a fast one on you and take advantage of the situation. Dont quite spend the money yet that he gave you. Mike

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Cant please everyone. Can you post a link to your auction?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts