Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to trim 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch off of a repro inner fender apron (battery tray side). Can anyone tell me the best tool to use? I have been thinking of the sawzall or a cut-off wheel. I thought shears would bend the metal and a nibbler would leave it too rough. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Power sheers (pneumatic) would give you the best results and little nibbling, but if they arent available, go with hand sheers and smooth it out with a grinder and small body hammer. A saws-all will leave you with a piece of dented, chipped, rough-edged piece of junk, plus its not very accurate.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
nothin beats an old fashoined pair of tin snips. I have a pair I can cut up to 16 guage metal with. let me tell you, if you want accuracy that is teh way to go. I have a pneumatic shear and if I am worried about what I am cutting, I leave it in the tool box. I have used an air cut off tool with good results, as well as my air body saw, which is like a small air powered sawzall, with a narrow blade. It does good clean work, fast. another thing I like to use is my mother's pinking shears, just because I think saying "mother's pinking shears" should be some sort of FBI trigger phrase that will alert them to possible dangers. :: :: oh what is this world coming to!!!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would personaly use the angle grinder. make sure you have the metal resting on the guard though! Cut off bits can get really expensive, and they go very slow, ime. I use tin snips alot, but you have to be carefull; when only cutting a small bit of metal off the edge, the metal will fold in the tin snips and it will not cut. Tin snips are very easy to cut straight with, and you can easily cut around corners if you need to. very versital tool.

just my $.02

- Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts