Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trip report time:

On the way home from a fantastic week in the Ozarks I stopped at three classic car dealers along the way.

First was Route 66 Motors on I-44 just north of Rolla MO. Had a decent '69 fastback for $12,500, but the real surprise was a plain '65 coupe held together with galvanized nails (no kidding!) for $3,500. I asked if he was serious about the price and the guy told me what a rare car it was because it was a '65. We ran away quickly. ::

Next stop was Country Classic Cars on I-55 at the 43 mile marker. The place is huge! The rumors are true, costs $1 per adult to get in, but worth it. SWMBO and our two kids spent almost two hours looking at a couple hundred cars. The nice stuff is in the barns. You name an american car and chances are they have at least one. Saw more Edsels in one place than I've ever imagined. Loads of 60's T-birds, and yes, Mustangs. The ponys were a mixed lot at best. Mostly 65s and 66s. Beautiful '72 Mach 1 in a barn for $12,500, a couple of very nice convertibles in another barn both over $20k, and at least a dozen more in varying shape out in the yard. Most of the cars outside were in pretty sad shape, and very over priced. '67 coupe, almost completely rusted out, was $2,000. '66 fastback that looked ready for the crusher was $4,000 (but it did have most of the interior). Definitely worth the price of admission. :D

Last stop was Dave's Cars at the 81 mile marker. Mostly a Dodge/Chevy shop, but he has a '66 GT coupe facing I-55. It was in pretty sad shape. Quarters were gone, floor pans gone, all but one emblem gone. Cowel area looked shot - rust was starting to break through the firewall seam. It did however have the original pony interior. I was on my back looking up at the carpet from the ground when my five year old daughter leaned over me and said "Daddy, this isn't a very nice car". Can't quite see the $3,500 price, but if someone is handy with a welder and has a lot of time on his hands... ::

Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
That is always the problem with these kind of yards. Somehow some moron with too much money will walk in and buy one car for these way-too-high prices about every 6 months. Kind of makes Bubba behind the counter to keep them up there.
Great report.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trip report time:

On the way home from a fantastic week in the Ozarks I stopped at three classic car dealers along the way.

First was Route 66 Motors on I-44 just north of Rolla MO. Had a decent '69 fastback for $12,500, but the real surprise was a plain '65 coupe held together with galvanized nails (no kidding!) for $3,500. I asked if he was serious about the price and the guy told me what a rare car it was because it was a '65. We ran away quickly. ::

Next stop was Country Classic Cars on I-55 at the 43 mile marker. The place is huge! The rumors are true, costs $1 per adult to get in, but worth it. SWMBO and our two kids spent almost two hours looking at a couple hundred cars. The nice stuff is in the barns. You name an american car and chances are they have at least one. Saw more Edsels in one place than I've ever imagined. Loads of 60's T-birds, and yes, Mustangs. The ponys were a mixed lot at best. Mostly 65s and 66s. Beautiful '72 Mach 1 in a barn for $12,500, a couple of very nice convertibles in another barn both over $20k, and at least a dozen more in varying shape out in the yard. Most of the cars outside were in pretty sad shape, and very over priced. '67 coupe, almost completely rusted out, was $2,000. '66 fastback that looked ready for the crusher was $4,000 (but it did have most of the interior). Definitely worth the price of admission. :D

Last stop was Dave's Cars at the 81 mile marker. Mostly a Dodge/Chevy shop, but he has a '66 GT coupe facing I-55. It was in pretty sad shape. Quarters were gone, floor pans gone, all but one emblem gone. Cowel area looked shot - rust was starting to break through the firewall seam. It did however have the original pony interior. I was on my back looking up at the carpet from the ground when my five year old daughter leaned over me and said "Daddy, this isn't a very nice car". Can't quite see the $3,500 price, but if someone is handy with a welder and has a lot of time on his hands... ::

Cheers,
John.

Country Classic Cars Stauton IL. owner Russ Noel has multiple complaints with Attorney General here's 1...............

The car I bought, a 1975 AMC Matador, was advertised to be very nice and a good driver. I was able to see many many pictures of the car, many close ups, so was pretty sure about body issues, especially rust. I spoke with the salesperson repeatedly. I specifically asked about rust and was told that the only problem was the exhaust which might need replacement. I was told that the car was otherwise ready to drive. (Oddly enough, I have not had to replace the exhaust or muffler.....yet anyway. Read on.....)

I have had to do thousands of dollars of repairs. Some were things I just wanted done, but the majority were things that had to be done.

Upon arrival the car had a run down battery. The reason for this was that the brake lights would not turn off. The required solution was a new power brake booster.....not cheap.

I suppose I was lucky that the car did not in fact have bad body rust issues......for the most part. The rear bumpers of these cars are notoriously poorly designed and even well maintained ones have problems with the rear bumper, hence replacements are very had to find. My car had a thoroughly rusted rear bumper such that I had to find a replacement (luckily I did find a decent example 100 miles from home). There was also body rust along the lower rear edge of the body adjacent to the rear bumper and there was a dent in the rear of the car. These body items were not mentioned. All have been repaired at considerable expense.

The hood had been touched up with paint that did not match the original color. So I had the entire hood repainted.

The radiator leaked and had to be restored. The gas tank was full of gunk and had to be removed and resealed, successfully thank goodness.

The entire front end was rusty and the car drove terribly and made all sorts of strange noises. Everything had to be replaced.....bushings, shocks, tie rods, etc. It now drives very nicely.

The front seat upholstery looked pretty good but was nearly worn through. The seat has been reupholstered with correct fabric.

There were mistakes I made......namely not having someone go over the car or going to visit it myself before I bought it. But still Country Classics did gloss over these shortcomings. I suspect they might not of even known about many of them. I get the feeling this car sat in their warehouse for a long time and their goal was to simply unload it on the first sucker they could find.

Unlike you, my outcome, after a lot of money, was good. I have had the car for almost two years and now it seems to be just as I had hoped it would be. After my considerable investment I am very pleased with the car. However I would love to see you succeed with nailing these guys. I'd love to hear how things go for you with the attorney general.

For the price I paid the car should have been pristine. I was a sucker who got duped.

I have filed a complaint and have forwarded to them all my receipts. OMG I hadn't realized how much the total was until I put them all together. Like you I doubt I'll realize any monies, but it would be nice if it happens. At least we might be able to contribute to the downfall of Country Classics.

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Country Classic Cars has a long history of Burning Consumers. Several people have sued or filed complaints with Attorney General. They have recently deleted their social media profile in attempts to hide the evidence against them posted by customers who have been scammed. I Have contacted the Illinois Attorney General, NY Attorney General and will be opening a case with FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
Country Classic Cars has a long history of Burning Consumers. Several people have sued or filed complaints with Attorney General. They have recently deleted their social media profile in attempts to hide the evidence against them posted by customers who have been scammed. I Have contacted the Illinois Attorney General, NY Attorney General and will be opening a case with FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center
Hopefully you're getting some satisfaction from posting about all this, because with near certainty that will be the only satisfaction you're gonna get. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am optimistic I have received encouraging response from the authorities and I am not alone in my efforts others who have been victimized by The Noels & Country Classic Cars have are contributing to the case. Are you associated with them?

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
I am optimistic I have received encouraging response from the authorities and I am not alone in my efforts others who have been victimized by The Noels & Country Classic Cars have are contributing to the case. Are you associated with them?
Of course not. I just know what the fine print says on purchase contracts for used cars.

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
The advantage I have is they advertised items like Heat, A/C, 4X4 which it did not have.
Doesn't matter, due diligence was your responsibility. If something wasn't as advertised you should have caught it prior to purchasing the thing. In the end you agreed to buy it "as is", and they have that in writing or they wouldn't have sold you the car. Anything they said verbally doesn't count for doodley squat. I'm sorry that's not what you want to hear, but it is what it is and that's how it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts