Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm a Texas VMFer and I'll be taking a trip from here (Fort Worth) to Leesburg Florida the week of September 13th. My parents inherited a small house near Lake Harris (midway between Orlando and Ocala) and I'll be heading over to make sure it's still there. Ok, so it's pretty far inland, so I don't think we have too much to worry about but my Grandfather used to joke about how the house was stapled together. It's a good excuse to get out of work for a week ayway. :: Let's hope the storm continues degrading before it hits the mainland.

So, assuming that everything is ok and I don't have any work to do:

1) Is there anythig Mustang related going on that week?
2) Any FL VMFrs have 65-66 parts they need hauled off? :)
3) Any FL VMFrs need anything brought from DFW area?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
Come on back through Panama City on the 18th, and see our Fabulous Fords Car Show and meet the Midlife, aka Show Chairman.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey that would be great, and it happens to line up nice with my schedule too.

Is there a website with the information you can point me to?
And maybe an address I can plug into mapquest?

The only other thing I can think to do is stop by the Ocala NPD warehouse and see where all my money goes. :)

I had this idea that I might stop by NPD and pick up all the big stuff that would cost a lot to ship: exhaust system, fuel tank, brake line kit, etc. But it turns out they have to charge me tax on all that stuff. The salesman ran the numbers and it turns out it would be cheaper to have it all shipped to my door, go figure.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll be there.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Might not be such a great idea....Have you reconsidered with Ivan bearing down?

My favorite website for tracking is www.noaa.gov check out the 5 day tracking predictions.

Good luck. Dickson

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Hey ...
I looked at out NOAA forecast this am. Looks like you guys in the Gulf coast area are going to get some effects of IVAN. The forecaster and I are 2 for 2 at this present time. We had called it two days prior the others. Of course the weather channel and the news has to give a broad impact zone. And we all know that Mother nature can do what ever she wants...when She wants too!
I'm looking at two models Destin Fla area and West. So La and ALA...you guys might want to head for some higher ground. If this storm goes on those tracks..it will be a high cat 2 or a weak cat 3.
The Island of Jamica and the Caymans were almost under water. I don't think the Delta area can handle a 12 Plus tidal surge.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I did make it just in time for Ivan.

I spent the week in Leesburg, FL. Fortunately, there was not much damage to my grandparents house from the previous storm.

I feel kind of guilty, but while Ivan was moving up through the gulf I was battling the "Pirates of the Caribbean" with my 3 year old niece. We didn't wait in line very long for anything. :D

Getting home wasn't much fun at all however. I was detoured into backwoods southern Alabama from I-10. But there was no official detour route yet. It was more like, "go this way." But then I got out there and no more signs.

The damage was pretty extensive. There were trees down everywhere and powerlines all over the roads. I passed several houses which were all but obliterated by felled trees. I didn't see electric light until I got closer to Mobile and even there it was sporradic. I was navigating basically by compass, just trying to go as far West as I could on any road hoping to find gas and/or a hotel. I thought for sure I was going to run out of gas. I was about 35 miles passed the furthest point I had ever pushed a tank of gas in my truck. It had just started bucking when I found a section of town off of I65 with power. The gas station was damaged and abandoned but the 'pay at the pump' feature worked like a champ. Then I tried to find a hotel, no luck so I decided to keep going. I has been driving since noon and it was 4:30 am when I decided I just needed to pull over and sleep, I got about 2 hours of sleep and then kept going. Later I found out the hotels all the way through Lousianna and even some in East TX were filled up with people fleeing in advance of Ivan.

Through most of the night I was listening to the radio broadcasts of where to go to get ice and MRE's. They were announcing bus tours to go see your damaged home on the outer islands since they were closed to regular traffic. It sounded pretty bad. I really felt for those people in the thick of it, after all I was just driving through.

I'm home safe and dry but I sure hope all you South-Easterners make it through alright. Especially those on the Florida panhandle and in southern Alabama.

Maybe I'll make the car show next year!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I agree with ya! I just came back from P-cola and I'm whooped. I worked from sun up past sun down helping my Parents and Brother and neighbors repair their houses.
My parents house had no major damage except a destroyed shed and fencing. Shingle and slight wind damage to the roof. No power and the phone line just starteed to work.
NO FORDS DAMAGED!!! I'm still scratching my head on this one. A HD F-150, 50 F-1, 97 stang, 67 stang, F-150, 64 F-Lane and 56 T-bird......not a scratch! And these cars were parked on the other side of the house...the other side had a tornado drop down and take out a shed. This tornado also threw a 500.lb tire changer thru a neighbors small garage....yep that baby was flat. Then it went across the street and dropped 5 trees on a house.
The rural area of Beulah was pretty thrashed.
The trip there required alot of patience. Alt 90 is open. But only one side of it...because the other side is in the BAY! Crews are hard at work. They had that side ready to pave BTT I was leaving 2 days later.
The whole situation is running very smooth. Considering the amount of destruction. National Guard is directing traffic...which is awesome. Police are working calls and handing out supplies..FEMA is there in full force. Tree cutters and supply trucks are coming arriving every day. Convoys of electrical bucket trucks....I am very impressed with the effort of the Escambia county personnel.
It seems like there is so much work to do to restore the area back to being normal. The people of the area have taken a big emotional punch in the stomach. Heck I was getting sick to my stomach driving and seeing the damage.
I think the people and the area will bounce back. I could see it in their faces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts