Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am working on my 73 mach 1, need help ,i need some info. on how to remove my old torque boxes, i am going thru spot weld removers like crazy ,is there a simpler or faster way to remove these welds and can any body and be so kind and guide me thru this

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I can't say I liked my spot weld removing tool...dulled like crazy. The trick is to let the tool do the work, seemed like each weld took an hour. So, I resorted to several drill bits and stepped them up till I got it out. On the TB's, however, I pretty much so took a cut off saw and an air chisel to remove mine and ground down the extra weld material. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
if you are not having luck, go rent a plasma curtter for a weekend, & you can do the whole car in the time it takes to drill out one box

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
i've replaced all four fender aprons, about half of my cowl, and both floorpans, so i've drilled out alot of spotwelds. i used craftsman's speed-lok system and a drill doctor. the speed-lok system allows for easy bit changes, and i used a 1/4" bit to drill through the weld, then a 1/2" bit to drill through only one side. this leaves a smaller hole on the backside that has to be filled. use the drill doctor frequently and you'll have no trouble with the welds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts