Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
19,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I spent more than six hours taping and masking the underside of my fastback so I could shoot the primer coats. I thought it would take three hours so, of course, it took six. :lol:

Today, I tried out my new 3M PPS system and sprayed two coats of 2K primer underneath, so the car is now gray rather than red on the bottom. The system allows me to paint with the gun inverted and it works great. It still isn't very easy to spray on your back and work around the subframe connectors, rear axle, and other stuff, but I got it done and it looks pretty good. There are a couple of runs, but they'll sand off easily.

Next weekend, it's back to sanding and then I'll shoot the final coat of primer. I plan to shoot the color over the Thanksgiving break.

·
Administrator
19,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics tomorrow, I didn't finish until 5 pm and by the time I made dinner, etc., it was dark and I was pooped.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What color is the underneath gonna be? Is the tranny , exhasut and other stuff out of the way..?

·
Administrator
19,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be the same as the exterior. I've removed the tranny, driveshaft, and exhaust, but the subframe connectors, traction bars, and rear axle are in place. Those being there makes it a lot of fun!

·
Administrator
19,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'll be sanding what I shot today with 220 or 320, depending on how good the areas are. Then, I'll shoot a final primer coat and sand it with 400 before shooting the color.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would love to see pics with the masking you did so I know what I am up against when i try this. After seeing how much higher the front end is without a motor, I plan on tackling my under carriage without the motor installed.

Jon

·
Administrator
19,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The engine is out of mine, too, and I have the front tires on ramps and the rear axle on jackstands. I'll post pictures tomorrow so you can see what I had to do under there. I bought special masking paper with tape on it from the autopaint store. It made it go a lot more quickly.

·
Administrator
19,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same as the exterior, Sapphire Blue with Hertz Gold stripes.

·
Administrator
19,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know I did. ;)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
aslan said:
Randy
I bet she had more fun than we did! LOL
Stan
I guarantee you she didn't have more fun than me! *LOL*. I spent yesterday at the track with Scary, and fired up my daughter's car with the open headers today. I'll be driving it to the exhaust shop tomorrow morning with the open headers! Yee Haw!

I hate body work, so Laurie's weekend doesn't sound fun at all! *LOL*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts